Cyberlink Powerdirector 8 Ultra
A powerful, versatile video editor for people who like to work in full-screen mode
- Powerful for the price, easy to use
- Interface makes multitasking tough, occasional crashes
PowerDirector 8's excellent price-to-power ratio is undeniable, so if you aren't bothered by having to work in full-screen mode, go for it.
Price$ 159.95 (AUD)
PowerDirector 8 Ultra is a powerful video editor, and its interface is stylish and friendly--when you work with it in full-screen mode. This latest version of the program introduces a number of usability improvements and new features, most compellingly the TrueTheater video correction and enhancement tool. On the other hand, the upgrade fixes none of the previous version's interface faults, such as its tendency to obscure tools when you run the program at less than full-screen. Since I like to multitask, these drawbacks have begun to grate on me a bit.
I was pleased with the newly resizable panes for Media (where you add files), Preview (where you watch you your movie), and Timeline (where you assemble the movie) in version 8's Edit window. Cyberlink nicely revamped the Produce window (where you select the output format and the location) as well. Formerly presented over a series of three step-through dialog boxes, all options now appear on a single page that fills the main window. Version 8 also reworks the 'Create disc' pane so that you can view the content of the disc--and the menu structure--in tree-diagram form.
Regrettably, due to a lack of scrollbars, if you don't run the program at full-screen, you won't be able to see some critical components. Also, when you set the Windows task bar to hide automatically, PowerDirector blocks access to it, forcing you to click Ctrl-Esc to display it. I gave version 6 and even version 7 a pass on these and other interface problems, expecting Cyberlink to fix them in free updates. The company has assured me that corrective code will finally be available within the next month as a free update.
Welcome new features include TrueTheater HD up-sampling, video stabilization, audio and video denoise tools, motion frame interpolation, three music tracks (up from one in version 7), and nine picture-in-picture tracks (up from six). You also get a new particle FX library for overlaying such elements as snow falling.
PowerDirector 8's excellent price-to-power ratio is undeniable, so if you aren't bothered by having to work in full-screen mode, go for it. Your decision to move up to the latest edition should depend on your need for video enhancements, extra tracks, and particle FX--the usability improvements, while nice, aren't worth it.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Final Fantasy XV's PC port needs up to 155GB of storage space
- CES 2018: 20 Great Gadgets We Saw On The Show Floor And Beyond
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Who Were The Winners?
- Garmin Announces New Vivofit 4
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Service Desk SpecialistQLD
- FTTechnical Integration LeadOther
- FTUX Designer - Large Corporate (Urgent!!)Other
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCDatabase Systems Specialist - Bathurst ( NSW )NSW
- CCSenior MySQL Database Administrator - SydneyVIC
- FTRail Program Manager/ Senior PMOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level Tester - BankingOther
- FTProject Manager - NSW Health exp essentialOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CCData Migration Test AnalystACT
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- FTData Centre Server EngineerOther
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistNSW
- TPDelivery ManagerACT
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- FTMajor Incident and Problem SpecialistOther
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - HP Service Manager 9NSW