Creative Labs Webcam Notebook
- Miniscule size, simple to use
- Poor image quality in low light
Its ease of use and solid specifications make the Webcam notebook a good choice for those on the move.
Price$ 80.00 (AUD)
As its name would suggest, the Creative Webcam Notebook is specifically tailored to satisfy the needs of the mobile user. Barely larger than an AA battery, the camera attempts to provide all the functionality of a regular webcam in a diminutive and portable form.
Preparing the camera for use is a breeze. Simply attach the camera via a simple clip-on mechanism, plug in the USB cable, run the installation CD and away you go. Some users may find the plethora of installation options awaiting them a little daunting at first, but referring to the Quick Install guide should answer most queries.
The unit itself displays specifications you would expect of any decent webcam, a worthy achievement considering its vastly reduced dimensions. With a 640x480 CMOS sensor and a maximum frame rate of 30 fps the \Webcam Notebook is a solid performer. In regular daytime use the camera achieves crisp imaging and accurate colour reproduction. Focusing is manual and can be quickly altered via a simple ring. Creative also provides options for fine tuning the lighting settings with several presets. In low level lighting, however, we found these settings disappointing and the camera struggles to reproduce an accurate image. Unless your subject is in direct light, the camera displays poor dynamic range and a soft haze of blue noise.
Being stuck firmly to the notebook screen, the Webcam Notebook provides little in the way of physical adjustment. It can be rotated 180 degrees to show what lies behind your screen but no lateral adjustment is catered for. Presumably most users prefer to sit in front of their screen, so this shouldn't be much of a problem.
The Creative Webcam Notebook is compatible with all the major instant messaging programs and set up is simple. Creative's included software is also relatively easy to use and provides some useful options including motion detection and automatic web page updating. The software rounds out a solid package from Creative and the Webcam Notebook is a worthwhile purchase for anyone wanting a webcam on the go.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Writer - Based in BrisbaneNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- FTJunior IT Admin CoordinatorACT
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- CCJunior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCRPA Developer / Consultant - Contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- FTBI / ETL DeveloperWA
- FTProject Manager - Property /Engineering/ Construction - GovtOther
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- CCSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantNSW
- FTTalent Acquisition Specialist - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- FTGraduate Software Developer - Front EndWA
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCIdentity & Access Management AnalystVIC
- FTC ++ DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystWA
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther