Creative Labs WebCam Live!
- Low cost, Useful software options, Snapshot button
- Suffers from grainy images & lag, USB 1.1 connection
A small step up from the Creative Vista Pro, the Creative Webcam Live! offers users a basic digital video package suitable for messaging.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Creative Webcam Live! is a low end web camera that is remarkably similar to the Creative Vista Pro in form and features.
With a video resolution of 640x480 at 30 frames per second, the Webcam Live! is an entry level model, suitable for moderate use with popular instant messaging programs, like Yahoo! and MSN Messenger. In our tests, we found the image quality shared the same flaws as the Vista Pro - suffering from substantial lag and having a grainy texture, although it did perform well in low light conditions.
If you pop over to the Creative website and have a look at the listed specifications for this product, you will notice it is listed as 'USB 2.0 compatible.' While this is technically correct, it's also disguises the fact the Webcam Live! has only a USB1.1 connection. Thus while the Webcam Live can be connected to USB2.0 ports (making it 'USB 2.0 compatible'), it will only function at USB1.1 speeds. This means the video quality and performance isn't as good as a webcam that supports USB2.0 speeds.
After you plug in the Webcam Live to your PC, you will have to install the accompanying software, which consists of Webcam Centre and two Arcsoft applications - Multimedia Email and PhotoImpression. Surprisingly, the installation took us quite a while and was particularly resource hungry, slowing down our whole machine. The installation process is quite simple, but also quite time consuming and be aware that PhotoImpression takes up 60MB of hard disk space, while Multimedia Email consumes a whopping 300MB.
Webcam Centre is the main application that manages the webcam and allows a few interesting options. The first is simple video or still image capture. The available resolutions and other settings are conveniently placed at the bottom of the screen, making configuring the camera a breeze. The next tab allows what Creative call 'Remote Monitoring'. This essentially takes a still shot at set intervals (which you can specify), which can then be automatically uploaded to an FTP site and accessed from the web.
Alternatively, you can use the Webcam Live! for 'Motion Detection'. In this scenario, if the camera detects any motion, it can record a video and either email it to you or upload it to an FTP site. We're not sure how practical this is, as we found a tiny 10 second video was around 12MB - not something that be easily emailed around. Webcam Centre also has Time Lapse function, which takes continuous still shots and then streams them into a video.
In the design department, we have no complaints about the Webcam Live! and appreciate the Snapshot capture button on top of the camera, although it is a little hard to press at times. While Creative has marketed the flexible three way stand quite heavily, we weren't as impressed. On the one hand, the flexibility means it can be used on a variety of surfaces. Yet at the same time, we would have preferred something which clipped onto the surface more securely, which is especially an issue when using a laptop as you may tend to move it. Still, at this price and with a few nifty features, the Webcam Live! is sure to satisfy users after a no-frills web camera.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
- CES 2018: Ring founder Jamie Siminoff sheds light on his vision for a more-connected, more-secure future
- CES 2018: Ring Bolster Security Offering With Cameras, Lights, Alarms and Subscription Service
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevOps & PHP DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- FTChange ManagerACT
- CCMaximo Developer - Telco ClientVIC
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCReact DeveloperQLD
- TPIT Storage EngineerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - End User ComputingOther
- CCTechnical WriterQLD
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- FTMDM ArchitectOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTSignalling Project ManagerOther
- FTUX & Research SpecialistOther
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- FTScrum MasterNSW