Creative Labs TravelSound 400
- Compact and Portable, Good value, Wide Music Effect
- No Included AC Power Charger, Some distortion at high volume, Poor low-end
The TravelSound 400 isn’t going to blow you away in terms of sound quality, but for those who travel frequently, it is quite good value for money.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
The Creative TravelSound 400 is one of the many portable speaker systems for digital music players floating around on the market. If you're looking for convenience of a small and compact sound system to carry with you when you travel, then this may be the product for you, but don't expect fantastic sound quality.
Measuring just 157mm x 71mm x 41mm and weighing only 270 grams (without batteries), portability and compactness are the TravelSound 400's best features. The unit is small enough to fit into any bag or purse, which means it's no hassle to take with you on trips. Frequent travelers will appreciate this design and the included travel drawstring bag is a nice touch.
The TravelSound 400 employs a handy swivel design, which means the speakers can be mounted at different angles for an optimum listening experience. Finished in brushed silver aluminum and black, the TravelSound 400's rotating speaker system can be folded away when not in use, providing protection to the delicate speaker cones. You can connect any music player to the TravelSound via the included cable which uses a standard headphone jack input.
The base of the unit houses the controls - Volume Up and Down keys, the Power Button and a "Wide Music Effect" button. Creative have cleverly designed a sound feature to attempt to combat the lack of stereo separation, which is a disadvantage on small systems such as this one. Pressing the Wide Stereo Button creates a wider sounding field, which feels as though the unit is taking up more space than it actually is. It works well without being outstanding and we noticed the difference as soon as we switched it off - the sound seems stretched without creating distortion levels.
The TravelSound 400 performs well in the sound department, but don't expect unsurpassed quality. It really is difficult to create quality sound on such small units, and although Creative has done an admirable job here, there is a little distortion evident at high volume levels. The unit also lacks the heavy bass that a lot of music freaks love and the low end is fairly poor, but for a travel unit, the sound is quite efficient. It does tend to suit soother, softer tracks better than some heavier tunes, but overall, for the price, the TravelSound 400 is good value for money.
The rear of the unit contains the line-in input for your MP3 player and a DC In connection. Unfortunately, Creative has failed to include an AC Charger, which means you'll have to purchase this separately should you wish to run the unit on normal power. Otherwise, 4 x AAA batteries are supplied in the sales package and these slot into the bottom of the unit. Creative says that the batteries will be good for up to 35 hours of playback.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst (Night Shift)Other
- FTTECHNICAL INFRASTRUCTURE LEADOther
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTTechnical Writer - Cloud HostingVIC
- FTSolutions DesignerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTSoftware DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystVIC
- FTInside Sales SMSF SolutionsOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Oracle ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW