Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook
- Uses a true X-Fi chip, exceptional positional audio, brings depth to music and movies
- The card doesn't sit in the ExpressCard slot very well
When onboard audio just won't do, the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook is an exceptional option and one that notebook gamers, music enthusiasts and film buffs will greatly appreciate.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
For notebook users, the idea of good sound is generally an idea best left forgotten. The integrated sound of most notebooks is only intended for basic use and excellent audio tends to get overlooked by most manufacturers. Creative Labs has come up with a simple solution that uses its exceptional X-Fi chipset. The SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook is an expansion card that fits into any Windows based notebook with an ExpressCard slot.
It is a true X-Fi sound chip crammed into an ExpressCard form factor. However, the size doesn't detract from its overall power. Every gunshot, explosion and footstep was heard during our FEAR gaming tests with full positional audio. Subtleties in music, games and movies were each given their due with the excellent audio separation and soundstage placement that X-Fi has become renowned for.
The card has headphone and microphone jacks which also double as optical in and out ports. The device can recreate surround sound using a basic set of headphones or can support up to 7.1 speakers. Since the card is so small, a separate break-out box is provided which has extra ports for front, side, rear and centre/sub speakers.
The only complaint about the device is something that isn't really its fault but more a flaw in the overall design of ExpressCard technology. The card sits in the ExpressCard slot with nothing clamping it to the chassis. As such, when pulling your headphones out, the card can sometimes pop out too. While this is slightly annoying, you will soon remember to hold it when pulling out the headphones so it's not really that big of an issue.
The price point is more than acceptable considering the quality of the device and it comes with a set of ear bud headphones with a built-in microphone. These aren't brilliant but they definitely produce better audio than you would expect from a bundled headset.
The card is very simple to set up thanks to the provided installation CD. All you need to do is plug it in, install the software and you're away.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- CES 2018: Intel announces new 8th-Gen Vega M-integrated processors
- CES 2018: Intel Reveals VR-Ready ‘Hades Canyon’ NUC
- BenQ unveils a pair of new ergonomic eSports mice
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTSenior Data Quality Management OfficerNSW
- FTUI / UX Designer - UBANK - ContractOther
- CCProcess Improvement and Change Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerWA
- FTSenior AEM ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications & Business)NSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- FTMidrange EAI Developer - IBM WebsphereOther
- CCSix Sigma Process Improvement Consultant (Black Belt) - Sydney - TelcoNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior DevOps EngineerOther
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- FTMaster SchedulerOther
- FTSenior NodeJS DeveloperQLD
- CCSystem Access Administrator - TelcoVIC
- FTProject ServicesSA
- CCSAS AnalystNSW