Creative Labs MuVo Slim
- Slim design, built-in FM radio with recording function
- Very expensive for so little memory, flimsy plastic battery cover
Creative's MuVo Slim 128MB is a great choice for people on the move, but don't expect to store more than a couple of albums at a time.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Creative's MuVo series of MP3 players emphasises portability, and the MuVo Slim is a fine example of how a portable MP3 player should work. You can play and record FM radio, a feature becoming more common on up-market players. The player's only shortcoming is its price. Compared to the similar priced 1GB Sony Walkman NW-E107, the MuVo Slim hardly seems to be a good deal.
Slightly larger than a stack of credit cards, the MuVo Slim's outer construction is combination of brushed aluminum and hard black plastic. Underneath the flimsy thin plastic battery cover is an internal rechargeable Li-Ion battery. According to Creative, the battery life is roughly 17 hours, but we found it fell short of this by a few hours. The only method of charging the battery and transferring files to the player is by connecting the MuVo to your computer using a USB cable.
The blue backlit display is capable of scrolling ID3 tags. Although on the small side, text was still legible. The controls are functional and tactile; they consist of a track forward/back dial, volume controls and a play/power button. The menu system is accessed through the receptive dial, which allows users to access features such as the equaliser, voice and FM recording feature and the play modes (repeat, shuffle and A-B).
The equaliser provides different listening qualities, with presets including Pop, Classical, Jazz, Rock and a user-defined custom setting. Sound quality was clear and well defined, only held back by the low-quality earphones included in the box. File format support includes WAV, MP3 and WMA.
The MuVo has a voice recorder, and recorded audio is stored as WAV files in a separate directory called Voice. We were only able to record clean-sounding samples when the source of sound was within one or two metres of the MuVo. Any recordings can be transferred to a PC and converted to MP3 with the included software.
Recorded voice and FM radio has a dull sound. This is due to the maximum sampling rate of 16kHz; by comparison, "CD quality" MP3s are usually recorded at 44kHz.
Copying MP3s across to the MuVo was as easy as plugging the USB 2.0 cable into a PC. The MuVo Slim appears as a removable hard drive in Windows. The included software, Creative's MediaSource, provides one-click CD ripping capabilities as well as file management. Our preferred method of transferring files was through a Windows Explorer drag and drop approach.
Users can copy data files alongside their MP3 collections, although this is limited by the miniscule amount of onboard memory. We were only able to copy about two hours of music on our 128MB MuVo Slim. Creative also produces Slims in 256MB, 512MB and 1GB models. If you hope to carry more than a couple of albums around at a time, it's a good idea to invest in one of these higher-capacity versions.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTLead Senior Systems Engineer | 90 - 120K + Super|VIC
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- FTLead ArchitectVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Solution Analyst /Technical Business AnalystVIC
- CCChange & Communications AnalystQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- FTProject Manager Performance & ControlsQLD
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD