Creative Labs i-Trigue L3800
- Looks great, Excellent subwoofer, Remote control, Compatibility with Creative audio devices
- Lacking in mid range
An excellent option for those with a Zen audio device, these speakers produce impressive sound in the upper and lower ranges, although they are somewhat lacking in the middle frequencies.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
The Creative i-Trigue L3800 combines a great sounding subwoofer with clear satellites, resulting in an impressive 2.1 speaker system. We did notice a lack of power in some mid-range tones, but other than that the sound was extremely pleasing. If you own a Creative Zen audio device these speakers are even more enticing, as they can double as a home stereo replacement due to the ability to control the functions of your Zen through the remote.
The newest addition to the i-Trigue range, the L3800 packs a serious punch. The subwoofer provides great bass as Creative has found a good balance by producing ground shaking rumbles while still keeping the sound punchy and accurate. We were particularly impressed with the depth achieved by this sub, as it has the ability to generate some very low frequencies without a loss of clarity.
The satellites speakers produced impressive results, achieving excellent clarity and separation of instruments in the upper registers. The bright sound of the satellites, however, contrasted with the depth of the subwoofer, left a noticeable gap in the middle range frequencies. The lack of mid range deliverance is disappointing as the speakers felt rather imbalanced given the excellent bass and treble reproduction.
Constructed from a combination of aluminium and wood, the stylish design is typical of Creative's i-Trigue family. The satellite speakers feature two NeoTitanium micro drivers and a mid tone driver, with the latter firing laterally as opposed to straight ahead. Creative believe this produces a more balanced sound, but as mentioned, we found the lack of balance to be the only issue with these speakers.
The i-Trigue's all come with a wired, external control unit similar to a small AV receiver, and a remote control which is especially handy for those who own a Creative portable digital media player. The remote includes the key functions of Creative's line of Zen players and can interface with them, so you simply connect your device with the standard 3.5mm jack and can then control it via the remote. The control unit houses a volume and bass adjustment as well as a headphone jack.
The speakers are easy to set up as wires are colour coded, with each wire having a different connection, meaning you simply cannot connect a wire to the wrong socket. The wires are also of reasonable length meaning almost any speaker configuration is catered for. Also included in the box is a dual RCA to stereo adaptor for gaming.
With the inclusion of Zen controls on the remote, this is a very attractive package for anyone who owns one of these players. If you don't own a Zen, and want speakers for a PC or other audio device, these still have great merit as the bass emitted from the subwoofer and the upper range of the satellites are excellent.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- FSP's wild new power supply is liquid-cooled and built for silence
- Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
- Nvidia quietly launches the GeForce GT 1030, a Radeon RX 550 rival with a modest price
- AMD's first Radeon Vega graphics card isn't for you, and gamers may be waiting a while
- AMD's Ryzen Mobile chips are ready for liftoff, with the new Ryzen Pro not far behind
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Solution Analyst /Technical Business AnalystVIC
- CCWeb Designer - IT Graphics / UI DesignerQLD
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTPython Fullstack DevNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTDevelopment LeadVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD