Creative ZEN MX portable media player
It would have been nice if Creative had tried a little harder to reinvent the ZEN, but this is still a great portable media player
- More storage, easy navigation, great included headphones
- It hasn’t really evolved much from the previous model, its interface is slower than its predecessor's
The Creative ZEN MX is a good media player with generous features, and its software doesn’t attempt to stage a coup against other media applications on your PC.
Price$ 163.59 (AUD)
The Creative ZEN team has applied a very Apple-esque formula with its portable flash-based media player: re-releasing it without making many obvious changes bar increased storage. This is the major difference between the Creative ZEN MX and previous ZEN MP3 players.
The Creative ZEN MX portable media player is far better than an iPod Nano: it gives you more options and its software doesn’t end up taking over your entire computer by attempting to become the "alpha male" media application. We like the fact that you can just drag and drop files from your computer to the ZEN MX.
The Creative ZEN MX has 8GB of internal memory as well as an SD card slot, which means you have more space for music, pictures and movies. It looks almost identical to its predecessor, the Creative ZEN, but there are a few subtle differences. The power button has moved on to the front of the media player; it has also shed its sliding lock switch and uses a lock button instead.
The interface is slightly slow, but not enough to be particularly bothersome. It is easy to navigate and the buttons on the player are simple to understand.
Given the size of the device (5.5cm wide and just over 8cm long) it has a generously sized screen of 2.5in. Pictures are crisp and clear and text is easy to read. The scroll-through menu is very straightforward; once you’ve had a play around with it you pretty much know how it all works.
Not only is the ZEN MX aesthetically appealing and great to listen to, it also boasts some juicy features. We like how customisable the device is, with user-adjustable settings such as the comprehensive equaliser, bass boost, and smart volume functions. Having an FM radio just sweetens the deal even more. You can also change the player's wallpaper, use a shortcut button to play an 'album of the day', view a calendar and organiser (which can be synced with the supplied software), view photos, and even record voice memos using the built-in microphone. Of course, you get all the usual play modes such as repeat, random and repeat all. The ZEN MX ships with a pair of good quality ear buds.
It would have been nice if Creative had tried a little harder to reinvent the ZEN. Nevertheless, this is a great portable media player and we enjoyed reviewing it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- CCVDI EngineerACT
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - End User ComputingNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTHCM Project Manager & Service Implementation Manager - SAP HRNSW
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPProject Test ManagerQLD