Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Creative SBS A500
- Good value, powerful bass, relatively versatile sound range
- Lack of definition in upper treble ranges, bass is occasionally muddy
An affordable 5.1 speaker set that delivers respectable quality. This isn't a high quality audio product, but its relatively low price makes it ideal for casual users.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Creative's SBS A500 is a 5.1 PC speaker system. At a very affordable price and with respectable quality, it represents great value, however users looking for a more detailed or extensive sound range may be better served by a higher end product.
Sound quality on the A500 could best be described as relatively good - that is, considering its price point, the audio is actually quite respectable for a 5.1 system. Bass is definitely dominant, with a large sub capable of producing deep and rumbling low notes, although there is a slight amount of muddiness at times. The mid range is well represented; it's reasonably clear without overpowering the other ranges. Treble is one of its weak points though, with the higher frequencies generally being quite flat and lacking in finer detail.
Volume is quite powerful, and pleasingly there's very little distortion until the highest levels. A knob on the back of the sub controls the bass volume, but this can be somewhat inconvenient to adjust depending on where the sub is placed. It's advisable to find a comfortable bass setting before positioning the subwoofer, rather than adjust it on the fly. Additionally, a wired volume and on/off switch is attached to the sub, and able to be placed on the desk for convenient volume adjustments.
The surround effect is good, and although the individual sound card and PC used with the speakers will generally have more of an influence on this, we found it quite easy to achieve a pleasant surround environment with minimal effort. Our major qualm with the speakers and their positioning is the design. All five speakers are identical in design, with the exception of cable length on the rear pair. The vertical nature means that positioning the centre speaker can be difficult if your monitor is too close to the desk.
As with the Creative A300, the A500 speakers are a good mix of quality and affordability. They're certainly not high-end speakers, and audio enthusiasts will most likely be better served by other products. That being said, for users looking for an affordable 5.1 set of PC speakers suitable for a variety of tasks, including gaming, movies and music, these speakers are well worth checking out.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Ballistix Launches Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4 Gaming Memory
- Logitech G Unveils New PC Gaming Speaker and Mechanical Keyboard With LightSync
- Western Digital Ups The Game With Powerful New Gaming SSD
- Razer Goliathus Soft Mouse Mat Now Powered By Razer Chroma
- HyperX Partner with Sydney Swans
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Netgear Arlo Go review: An expensive but comprehensive home security solution
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Frostpunk review: A richly conceived and vividly realised city sim
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies