Cowon iAudio X5
- Crystal clear audio
- Difficult menus, screen appears blocky
Its fantastic audio quality doesn't make up for its flaws in menu and video support.
Price$ 529.00 (AUD)
Cowon's iAudio X5 media player is a bit of a mixed bag. The device is designed to compete against the Apple iPod or iRiver H320 hard disk-based media players, and offers a wide range of features above and beyond the competition. Unfortunately, its quality audio playback and stylish design is let down by a poor menu and inadequate video support.
The device weighs 150g. A joystick sits on the silky black front face to provide access to the menu system, and it works well.
A colour 1.8", 160 x 128 pixel screen sits on the front face above the navigation buttons, but the quality isn't fantastic and a little hard to see what's happening onscreen - especially if you're watching movies or looking at photos.
A horde of recording options are available, and you can sample audio from the inbuilt microphone, FM radio, or a microphone connected to the line in port. The player supports MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, FLAC, JPEG, TXT, XviD and WAV file formats and offers 20GB of storage.
The inclusion of the USB host port is an elegant feature that allows you to move images straight from a digital camera to the device: an extremely handy inclusion for those on holiday, as it saves regular visits to photo labs to have images archived onto CD-ROM. Photo and video playback options are included, but the latter is limited to 15 frames per second. Cowon boasts of a 915 minute playback life, which proved accurate during testing.
The sound quality is outstanding--easily among the best we've ever heard from a portable media player--and there's plenty of volume to overcome ambient noise on crowded bus or train trips. A wide range of EQ options and special sound enhancement features also helped boost audio quality.
Unfortunately the X5 suffers a little bit from feature bloat, leaving the interface a little unpolished. There are so many options available that it becomes hard to navigate the menus if you're just looking to playback music.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk Analyst (Level 1) - Sydney West (Urgent)Other
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop SupportQLD
- FTManager - Technical OperationsQLD
- FTCustomer Service ConsultantOther
- FT.NET Integration Lead Developer - Australian Citizens onlyOther
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- TPDNS Security SpecialistVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- TPCloud EngineerNSW
- CCInfoSphere SpecialistACT
- FTTM1 Business Systems AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Strategy Analyst - Financial Services - Based in BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTUI / UX Junior AnalystNSW
- CCDelivery Manager - Cloud Solution ProjectNSW
- CCMulesoft Integration Software DeveloperQLD
- FTOnsite Support Engineer (sys admin)Other
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD