Cosmic Watch app review
Telling the time with added celestial features
- Looks good
- Many features
- Not cheap
- Enthusiasts may expect more details
It's overkill for a simple global clock but it's fun to play with and offers a different perspective to Google Sky. Astronomers might not find all the data they'd expect, though.
Price$ 6.00 (AUD)
Mobile phones have done much to cull casual watch wearing. But this Swiss startup felt that those who rely on their phones to tell the time could use something a bit more elaborate.
The Cosmic Watch app opens by showing you the time plus a live visualisation of The Earth as viewed from above your location on it. You can also save up to three locations (which you can find either by dragging, pinching and zooming the globe or entering text in a search box) for quick reference.
But that’s only the basic function of the Cosmic Watch. As the developers put it, you get to watch the sky from the outside rather than the inside.
It’s a bit reminiscent of an interactive version of an airline route map – you can see day and night around the world but can interact with the globe by spinning it and zooming in and out. You can also set the clock to any time in the past or future and examine how the world sits (or will sit or sat) in space at a certain point in time. The clock can also be run super-fast so that you can see movement on a geological time scale running at up to one year per second.
You can add planets of the solar system to the mix along with constellations and astrological data. Drop lines can track them along with the sun and the moon. Notes, such as solar eclipse warnings, also pop-up when appropriate.
There’s a lot of information available but it’s not all easy to identify on a small iPhone screen. It’s worth noting that objects like the ISS and comets are not listed.
While it’s nice to play with, at $6 it's very much a premium app and it’s overkill for people who just want a world clock. Google Sky is the obvious competitor (and it's free) but that's more of a live feed while Cosmic Watch presents more of an easily-adjustable overview. However, people with an enthusiast-level interest in space and who like tracking Earth’s interaction with constellations, the Solar System and other celestial bodies would do well checking it out at cosmic-watch.com. It's available both on iOS and Android.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Watch Series 3 reviews: The good, the bad, and the ugly
- Apple Watch Series 3: Five reasons why it's a must-upgrade
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- Fitbit give their Ionic smartwatch an IFA reveal
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceWA
- FTSAP HR / PAYROLL SPECIALISTACT
- FTProject Manager - ServiceNowOther
- FTSenior EAM ConsultantQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Selenium/ToscaOther
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCDataStage DeveloperNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- TPDesktop Support ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTData Scientist (Scientific Computing Specialist)ACT
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportQLD
- FTData Migration LeadOther
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD