Corel WordPerfect Office X3 Standard Edition
- All five principal apps -- that's WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Mail, Presentations and Presentations Graphics -- are first-rate
- It will surreptitiously add Yahoo Toolbar to your browser during setup; InstallShield Update Manager puts itself in Windows' startup list and resides in the system tray
Minor irritations aside, we think people who use their PC for business -- and who are looking for a real productivity-suite upgrade -- might very well find what they need in Corel WordPerfect Office X3.
Price$ 515.00 (AUD)
What do you do if you don't want to wait for the full version of Office 2007? Consider this: feature for feature and dollar for dollar, Corel's $515 WordPerfect Office X3 Standard Edition tops the mighty Office 2003 Standard in every category.
All five principal apps -- that's WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, Mail, Presentations and Presentations Graphics -- are first-rate. For many users, one feature puts WordPerfect head and shoulders above Word and the rest of the word-processing pack: Reveal Codes. This menu option opens a pane at the base of the screen showing a document's formatting codes. For fine control over look and content, nothing beats it.
You needn't worry about Office users not being able to open and edit the files you create with WordPerfect Office. In WordPerfect, Quattro Pro and Presentations, you're given the option of working in the mode of the program's Office equivalents (Word, Excel and PowerPoint, respectively). There were a few minor formatting issues, however, especially when working in WordPerfect itself.
The suite is far more comfortable with PDFs, which it has supported for years. This latest version adds the ability to import and edit PDFs in WordPerfect and Quattro Pro.
WordPerfect's Mail program, formerly the Bloomba mail client from Stata Labs, features a search function that matches anything Outlook -- or, for that matter, any other e-mail program -- can come up with. It indexes your messages and lets you search for mail via drop-down menus using a combination of date, sender, content and other attributes.
Another addition to the suite is the Presentations Graphics program. This image editor won't make people forget about Photoshop but, considering that Office has no graphics program, it's a nice addition. It has all the standard tools for creating layouts and working with shapes, colours, textures and shading.
Although we enjoyed using WordPerfect Office X3 it has some annoying traits. For example, it will rather surreptitiously add Yahoo Toolbar to your browser during setup if you don't pay attention. And the pesky InstallShield Update Manager puts itself in Windows' startup list and resides in the system tray, even when no WordPerfect Office programs are open.
A free alternative: ThinkFree Online Basic
Traditional suites such as Office and WordPerfect seem likely to be with us for a while yet. However, online suites are beginning to make a case for themselves -- not least because of the money you can save. ThinkFree Online Basic Edition, for example, gives you an online word processor, spreadsheet and presentation package completely free.
ThinkFree's full-blown word processor has all the features most people will ever need, including automatic table generation, auto-correct and formatting options, while the ThinkFree spreadsheet is a close approximation of Excel -- formulae are given extensive support, with many database, engineering and mathematical functions included.
The suite has some useful tricks up its sleeve, such as automatic conversion of your files to PDFs and the ability to tag files with comments, but its online facilities are what's really going to sell ThinkFree. You get 1GB of storage space, and you can log into your account from virtually any computer and work on your files without needing to carry them around on a DVD or flash drive. You can even share files with other ThinkFree users and check who accessed them.
The shrunken workspace may be a problem, as will the advent of text ads. However, ThinkFree won't cost you a penny, and its sharing facilities make it ideal for workgroups. Try it at ThinkFree.com.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSenior DeveloperWA
- FTInventory Planning AnalystOther
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideACT
- CCSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst- Data Analytics & banking backgroundOther
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- TPService Desk Team LeaderVIC
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTApplication Support Maintenance & Patching AnalystOther
- CCService Delivery AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Large System Transformation Project)Other
- FTSystem AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTCyber Security Project ManagerOther
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerSA
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTData DeveloperOther
- CCData Business AnalystNSW