Corel WordPerfect Office 12.0
Modest upgrade to a solid suite offers better (but not flawless) Microsoft Office compatibility.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
If you can't beat Microsoft Office, mimic it - at a lower price. That's the philosophy behind Word-Perfect Office 12. This minor upgrade to Corel's venerable, capable suite adds tweaks aimed at keeping cost-conscious small businesses and home users, as well as long-time WordPerfect aficionados, productive in a Microsoft-centric world.
The Standard version comprises and Presentations 12. The database manager, Paradox, is available only in the Professional version. You do get 600 TrueType fonts and a VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) bolt-on for WordPerfect 12.
We tested a shipping version and found that, although the new features help, the best way to ensure that you'll always have full Microsoft Office compatibility when you need it is still to use Microsoft Office.
With two clicks, you can now switch the WordPerfect word processor, the Quattro Pro spreadsheet, and the Presentations tool into rough approximations of their Microsoft counterparts. Choose this option in WordPerfect, for instance, and the program not only adopts a Word-like menu structure, it also defaults to Word's file format.
The Corel suite lacks an alternative to Microsoft's Outlook e-mail and calendar programs; instead, it has features such as the ability to do mail merges using Outlook contacts.
The Microsoft-like menus do make it easier for Microsoft Office users to convert to Corel's Office. And in my tests, most files travelled back and forth between Offices without a hitch. Unfortunately, file importing worked less than perfectly: for example, Presentations jumbled elements on some complex PowerPoint slides, and Quattro Pro couldn't handle an Excel spreadsheet with elaborate formulas and macros.
As for version 12's other additions, the slick OfficeReady utility lets you preview the suite's templates, including 40 new ones for work and home tasks. However, the WordPerfect Wireless Office Suite - a set of tools for exchanging messages with SMS-enabled mobile phones - is misnamed, poorly documented, and haphazardly integrated with the rest of the product.
Like previous versions of WordPerfect, Quattro Pro, and Presentations, the software in the new suite already match most of the significant features of their Microsoft equivalents, and they offer some bonuses of their own. To create PDF documents in Microsoft Office, for example, you need a separate program such as Adobe's $299 Acrobat 6.0 Standard package; Corel's suite does it natively. Additionally, Microsoft Word still does not duplicate WordPerfect's Reveal Codes mode, which lets serious document tweakers massage page layouts by editing the underlying formatting instructions.
The $499 Standard edition of WordPerfect Office undercuts the $699 Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 suite list price by $200, and volume licensing agreements bring even deeper discounts. An academic version retails for $189.
Ultimately, Corel's suite is a better value than Microsoft's for some users, but not all. In its favour are its more-liberal licensing policies, which allow you to install a single copy on both a business PC and a laptop or home system, as long as it is used on only one machine at a time.
People on tight budgets should investigate OpenOffice.org, a free open-source download that feels even more like Microsoft Office in some respects. But if you need a powerful e-mail/personal information manager such as Outlook, or if you can't risk file-compatibility glitches, then Microsoft's pricier suite remains the best bet.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTImplementation ManagerOther
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTIT Contract ManagerWA
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTNet DeveloperOther
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTNet DeveloperACT
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- CCSystems AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCPenetration Test AnalystACT
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- CCClient-side Front End Developer (Angular 2)ACT
- CCData Analyst - SAP Data Services Exp RequiredQLD
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperOther
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW