Corel Painter IX
If you're a serious artist, this ingenious package is a rewarding investment in your creativity.
Price$ 429.00 (AUD)
For 13 years now, Corel's Painter has been proving that digital art doesn't have to look, well, digital. And Painter IX shows that a venerable package can still learn new tricks. We tested a shipping version of this worthy upgrade.
As always, Painter's natural-media art implements, from watercolor brushes to felt-tip pens, produce uncannily realistic results--and the new Artists' Oils are the program's most sophisticated tools yet. You can load up a brush with oil paints that you've mixed yourself and then lay down a brushstroke that slowly dries.
Other refinements in this version include watercolors that stay "wet" even when you save a painting and come back to it later. Corel also has enhanced performance by up to 1000 percent, so that working with the virtual art supplies feels even more lifelike. Mastering Painter still takes time, but Corel made a few smart tweaks. For instance, cloning, which lets you paint over a photograph, now takes one step instead of five.
At $429, Painter isn't cheap,and the complete package costs $130 more than version 8 did. You also need a pen tablet such as Wacom's Intuos 3 to fully explore its potential. If you're a serious artist, this ingenious package is a rewarding investment in your creativity.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Digital BANSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW