MyCopernic ON THE GO
The MyCopernic ON THE GO service offers remote desktop search, but not remote access
- Easy to use, works with mobile phones (including the iPhone)
- Not a full remote-access solution
"Handy" sums up MyCopernic ON THE GO. It's a useful way to find and access files remotely, but we'd rather use a full-fledged remote access service - particularly given that a product that costs $12.94. LogMeIn, for example, offers a free service for controlling a computer remotely; and since you can view your desktop as if you were sitting in front of it, you can do a lot more than just search for file.
Price$ 12.94 (AUD)
Copernic, known for its desktop search applications, is going remote - sort of. The company's new web-based MyCopernic ON THE GO service ($12.94 per year) lets you search the contents of your computer remotely, from any web-connected device, including a mobile phone. Unfortunately, MyCopernic ON THE GO falls short of offering a full remote access service.
MyCopernic ON THE GO works in conjunction with the Copernic Connector, a small piece of software that you must install on every PC that you want to search remotely. For any remote search, the Connector must be running, and the remote PC must be turned on and connected to the internet.
Surprisingly, you don't need any of Copernic's desktop search apps installed. While setting up the Copernic Connector, you choose what search tool to use; if no Copernic products are available, the program will default to using the basic Windows search tool. We recommend using Copernic's free basic Desktop Search Home tool, however. It displays a few annoying ads (which, luckily, you don't see remotely), but its performance is superior to (and faster than) that of Windows' own desktop search tool.
Once the Connector is running, use any browser to visit MyCopernic.com, where you can easily search your remote PC. The interface is neat and clean, with a search bar and a pull-down menu that lets you select parts of the remote computer (such as files, email messages, contacts, and browsing history) to search. With a fast internet connection, search results appear almost instantaneously in an easy-to-browse list.
MyCopernic ON THE GO organises results by date accessed, listing the most recently opened files or links closest to the top, rather than (as I'd have preferred) by type of document. Since the list of results isn't divided in any way, sorting by type of file would simplify browsing. Also, depending on the types of files you search for, you may see some unintelligible results, such as ads and cookies from your web browsing.
You can download files directly to the computer you're using by clicking the green arrow icon that appears in the search results. (Web links are not downloadable, but you can click them from within the browser.)
Alternatively, you can set the Copernic Connector to email files to a designated address instead of downloading them remotely. But setting up this feature entails entering a lot of information about your email account, including SMTP server, email address, username, password, and port settings. This seems excessive, given that setting up access to most email accounts on today's mobile phones requires entering just an email address and a password.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Full stack Developer (Java)ACT
- FTTechnical LeadOther
- FTTechnical AnalystOther
- FTBig Data Analyst/Business AnalystNSW
- FTBI Solution DesignerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - TechnologyACT
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - Ticketing Support - Office365 / ExchangeOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- FTMotion Graphics Designer / VideographerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSAP Business Analyst x 4Other
- FTCloud EngineerOther
- TPSenior Project Manager: ApplicationsQLD
- FTSitecore - Full Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTIT Security EngineerOther