Compro Australia VideoMate U3
- Doesn't need batteries to run, Small and lightweight, Convenience factor, Ease of use and setup
- Digital can be a hit and miss affair, No remote control, No DVD burning software
If you own a notebook, the VideoMate U3 is an extremely intuitive product that is very easy to use.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
Here is that rarest of beasts: a product that does something useful and does it well - and for an eminently reasonable price tag. If you spend a lot of time on the road with your laptop, the ability to watch TV on it may be a lifesaver. And best of all, the VideoMate U3 from Compro is a cinch to set up and use. The chunky, lightweight USB stick is about the length of a credit card, but half as wide. It comes with a tiny but powerful portable aerial, an aerial adapter and a small length of cable, so that you don't have to plug the card directly into a hard-to-reach socket. It derives its power from your PC.
Once you've installed the software, boot with the stick and an aerial attached and the program sets about hunting for TV channels. Any free-to-air digital feed is fair game - so you can make the most of your precious time by checking the FTSE scores on CNN and watching Working Lunch (and keeping track of Dancing On Ice, of course).
When we tested the VideoMate U3 in a notorious TV-signal blackspot, the results were surprisingly good. Of course, being digital, it's a hit-and-miss affair - many channels worked perfectly, some simply wouldn't appear - but with a decent signal the quality is excellent. Compro recommends using a more powerful aerial than the one provided, but no one carries a spare aerial and the bundled one's fine. It's small enough to tack to the wall, so you won't have to send the kids up on the roof.
As with all good digital TV sets you can pause and timeshift TV. Recording is a doddle - you simply hit the correct key and the software neatly deposits an Mpeg2 file on your hard disk.
We know what we like and we like the VideoMate U3. Whether you want entertainment on your laptop or digital TV without a set-top box (or both), the VideoMate is a winner. Unlike the Terratec Cinergy Hybrid it has no remote control or DVD-burning software. It does, however, cost half as much - so which one you buy may depend on who is picking up the tab...
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- TPProject Manager | Digital Health ProgramQLD
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- TPChange Analyst / ManagerQLD
- FTRecruitment Specialist - $40 p/hr - IMMEDIATE STARTOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadACT
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking and FinanceOther
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, DesignOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Pega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsNSW
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC