Cloudmark 9 Desktop
- Excellent anti-spam and anti-phishing features.
- Browser-based installer on CDROM is potentially confusing.
Desktop users plagued by spam and phishing emails would be well served running the simple and effective Cloudmark 9 suite.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Though not as well known as the big brands like Norton and McAfee, Cloudmark is an award-winning anti-spam and anti-phishing application for Windows, and is currently at its second release. Spam and phishing emails plague the net, though a number of internet service providers are starting to take filtering seriously.
First impressions during installation weren't great: the Cloudmark installation CD offers a browser-based installation system, and the browser on our test machine asked if we wanted to download or run the software from the disc. This isn't a concern for tech-savvy users accustomed to installing software, but could be potentially confusing for the less experienced. After installation, the software proved both easy to use and effective.
Cloudmark sits as a small icon in the system tray, monitoring incoming email for signs of potential threats. You can configure rules to define what the PC should do in case it finds a suspected spam or phishing email, including tagging the document, moving it to another mail folder, or deleting it completely.
The software is small and lightweight, and you hardly notice it's there - it just works. Management is extremely quick and painless - just as security software should be. There's enough granularity and fine control over settings to satisfy the most advanced computer users, and novices can simply run with the default options. We opted to test the software on a long-abandoned POP mail account rife with spam and junk mail. Impressively, the software managed to screen-out all bar one unwanted incoming message, with no false positives out of over 750 messages.
The installation CDROM includes a 15-day trial of Cloudmark Server Edition to suit Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers so system administrators are free to tinker with setting up anti-spam and anti-phishing at a server level to protect an entire business or workgroup.
The only real negative point (apart from the less-than-ideal installation system) is that the software has specific requirements and will only work with versions of Microsoft mail software. The desktop product is limited to working with Outlook 2000, 2002, XP and 2003 along with Outlook Express 5 or 6. No other mail software is supported, but this is bearable, as both Outlook and Outlook Express are the most common mail applications for the Windows platform. Corporate customers running Microsoft Exchange servers are accounted for, but those relying on other solutions are out in the cold. This isn't an issue for desktop users, though - just something to consider if you administer a business network.
Desktop users plagued by spam and phishing emails would be well served running Cloudmark. It's simple and effective, but with a growing number of ISPs and webmail suppliers now providing server-side email scanning and filtering, we question how long malicious will continue to bombard the desktop in future.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTUnix EngineerACT
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- TPImplementation Planner - Payroll PortfolioQLD
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Application Support ConsultantQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW