CLO Software Traffic Australia
A step in the right direction.
- SUNA traffic feed, tailored to user's location, links to Google Maps for indepth view
- Updates are slow and ultimately obsolete, map is static
Though we appreciate the attempt to fill a gap in the iPhone's GPS navigation capabilities, this app lacks the functionality needed to make it useful during everyday travel.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
Sure, there a lot of problems with using the iPhone as a GPS — no turn-by-turn navigation and no text-to-speech or voice guidance are notable ones — but the ability to combine GPS data with Google Maps has still been a godsend at times.
Thankfully, CLO Software has seen fit to fix one of the flaws in the handset's GPS capabilities with the release of Traffic Australia. Powered by the same system found in high-end standalone GPS units, the application doesn't deliver a comprehensive traffic-based navigation solution for the iPhone but it certainly takes some steps towards this.
The magic behind Traffic Australia is none other than SUNA, the Australian Traffic Message Channel that provides comprehensive traffic congestion and accident information to GPS devices in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
In a GPS device, the SUNA system is largely automated and painless; unfortunately, that isn't entirely the case here. Because of the restrictions placed on iPhone Apps, Traffic Australia is limited to providing a raw feed of congestion information, with no direct interaction with Google Maps.
As a source of information, Traffic Australia works well; the application pinpoints the user's location then subsequently taps into the SUNA network and provides traffic information. The information is categorised into construction and congestion, and users can choose the order of information based on street name, proximity and time.
The application provides a Map View as well as a simple list but it is a static image and cannot be redrawn in real-time. Users can zoom in and out — using buttons rather than multi-touch — and can isolate specific congestion points. From there, the software even provides a link to Google Maps, which shows the same location.
A further hindrance is the lack of real-time information. SUNA updates congestion information every 15 minutes but Traffic Australia lags behind this by about an hour and a half — it will show congestion information for 2pm at roughly 3.30pm. During peak hour this is a particular problem, reducing the usefulness of the application.
Given the restrictions on iPhone apps and without full integration into a proper navigation solution, Traffic Australia is in a hard spot. It performs decently within the limitations, but a dynamic map with multi-touch and quicker updating would make for a much better application.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerVIC
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - ASAP StartQLD
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTPrincipal ConsultantOther
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCCisco ACI Senior Network Engineer, Technical Consultant Or Network ArchitectNSW
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW