Overall, Overlord Minions is a missed opportunity for the Nintendo DS
- Good storyline with lots of clever elements
- Controls are frustrating and lack accuracy, you can only save at the end of a level
Overall, Overlord Minions is a missed opportunity for the Nintendo DS. It had a lot of potential, but it was lost to the inaccuracy of game play. If the controls were adjusted even a little, it would vastly improve the game.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Welcome back Giblet, Blaze, Stench, and Zap, the elite minion crew, who are back in an all new Overlord game designed exclusively for the Nintendo DS. Overlord Minions is an action/puzzle game that tests your strategy skills and your ability to play the DS with a stylus. While using the minion's unique powers, it is your job to navigate a series of levels fighting foes and solving puzzles for the Overlord.
The problems arise early on in the game, due to Overlord Minions being a completely touch-screen controlled game. There are only two actions for the game: either taping or swiping. So controlling the minions via the stylus tends to work well part of the time, other times the controls are just plain frustrating.
For example, during a fight in a tight space, you have your minions on the screen. You tap your stylus, and struggle to get your minions to hit switches or enemies. This inconsistency for non-moving actions works part of the time. But most of the time, you get stuck tapping and swiping across your DS screen trying to get the minion to do the simplest task.
These issues only get worse as you move forward in the game. For example in a boss battle, you may have to go between minions to fight. Having Giblet throw an item, and switching to Blaze to throw fireballs at the right moment to light it on fire. This doesn't always happen, because the game lacks the accuracy needed for its intent. So you end up having a minion do something you don't want them to.
The graphics are done very well for the DS, and images on the screen are easy to decipher. The cartoon minions are fun for all ages. While the sound is slightly repetitive, the music adds a sense of theater to the game.
Overall, Overlord Minions is a missed opportunity for the Nintendo DS. It had a lot of potential, but it was lost to the inaccuracy of game play. If the controls were adjusted even a little, it would vastly improve the game. The storyline was really good. It had a lot of clever elements, while keeping the sense of humor the series is known for. Fans of the series will like the new Overlord experience, but falls short of making Gnarl happy. With a few adjustments with the controls, Overlord Minions would have done a lot better.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCMicrosoft (Sharepoint) SpecialistNSW
- FTLooking for Lead Solution ArchitectACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Digital BANSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Banking/FinanceNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTDevOps Engineer | $90 p/hrVIC
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- FTTeam LeaderSA