ClamWin Free Antivirus (2009)
This open-source antivirus software fails to get the job done, with disappointing malware detection and no real-time scanning
- Open-source antivirus software, right-click option to scan a specific file
- Ineffective malware detection, poor disinfection
Although running an extra on-demand scan can be good as backup for your regular antivirus application, ClamWin Free Antivirus' poor detection rate means that you are better off running an online scan from a commercial software maker, such as BitDefender or F-Secure, and avoiding this open-source project.
ClamWin Free Antivirus doesn't provide real-time protection, and it won't check files as you open them or have them written to your hard drive; its scans are on-demand only, which means they kick off when you schedule them or specifically tell the program to run one.
If its scans were effective, ClamWin Free Antivirus might have been a worthwhile pick as an extra security layer to catch files that your regular antivirus utility might have missed. Unfortunately, It missed almost half of the Trojan horses, password stealers, and other baddies in AV-Test.org's zoo of malware samples, an ignominious performance matched only by PC Tools Antivirus.
Against malware made to steal online-banking passwords, it was nearly impotent, missing more than two-thirds of such samples. In proactive tests meant to find how well a program can detect new malware, ClamWin Free Antivirus did better, nabbing roughly one-third of the samples while using two-week-old signature files (top performer Avira AntiVir Personal caught just over half). But that still wasn't a satisfactory result by any means.
Its six false positives were more than we'd expect even from free antivirus. ClamWin Free Antivirus was the second-slowest app in on-access scanning during our recent tests of antivirus products - only PC Tools Antivirus had slower scan times - and it put up the worst numbers for disinfection, detecting only six out of 10 infections and cleaning only five. In a rare shining performance, it identified all 10 active rootkits (stealth malware designed to hide other infections). In contrast, however, it did the worst job of removing those rootkits, cleaning up just four.
The app's basic interface lists your hard drives and allows for scheduling regular scans, but you'll need to schedule a separate scan for each drive. ClamWin Free Antivirus also adds a right-click Explorer option to scan a specific file, but such scans are notably slow, and by default it only reports discovered malware; to get an option to clean it, you must change the settings to quarantine or delete the file.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCWeb Designer - IT Graphics / UI DesignerACT
- FTApplications Project ManagerQLD
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCIDAM ArchitectVIC
- CCDeployment Manager - TelcoVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Initial 6 Month ContractNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTChange Manager, Agile Environment, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop SupportACT
- FTNetwork SpecialistNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC