Clamcase for iPad Pro 9.7-inch
Turn your iPad into a proper laptop
- Very sturdy
- Robust keys
- Good battery life
The best way we've yet seen to turn your iPad Pro into a laptop.
Price$ 230.00 (AUD)
Smart cases for tablets always seem to sound much better than they are - especially when a keyboard in involved. The increased bulk and the requirement to keep them charged can be a pain.
So we were happy to see Clamcase address these issues right off the bat. The aluminium-polycarbonate keyboard-case is very solid, very light and very thin. Clipping an 9.7-inch iPad Pro (the best iPad) into it suddenly turns it into a laptop - at least in appearance.
Pairing via Bluetooth is easy. After that, maintenance is minimal: the case knows when it's shut and powers off (and on) automatically. Standby time is three months. The keys have LED backlights (which can be set to three brightness levels or turned off) and they'll stay illuminated for 6 hours on a single charge. If you leave the lights off then it will last 100 hours as a regular keyboard. We're happy that this counts as maintenance free.
The keyboard itself is very useable. The scrabble tile keys are reduced-size but we happily typed this review on it. The action is quite stiff - writing lengthy pieces might become uncomfortable, but we had few complaints. Usually when typing on the screen we keep hitting keyboard combinations which highlight whole lines and deletes them before we realise what's happened. This does away with that.
The keys need to be as robust as they feel as the keyboard can be wrapped all the way around the back of the screen to allow the tablet to be wielded In its regular manner. When this happens, the smarts within the case turn the keyboard off so you're not pressing keys behind the screen.
It's naturally a little top heavy - the iPad itself is the heaviest part of this case which, on its own, weighs 500g. But we rarely had a problem with it toppling over.
ll in all, we were impressed. It feels more sturdy and useful than Apple's own keyboard case. IIt's expensive at $230 but the quality is there to justify it.
While we were typing this, we watched a business man on a plane typing pages of notes with one finger. This case would be a godsend to him.
We still lament not having mouse compatibility with Apple's iOS. However, being able to type extensively and accurately on the iPad Pro without fiddling around with multiple, flappy covers is a boon and it wins our approval.Read more: Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- We compared the speakers of a Pixel XL and an iPhone 7
- Apple Maps tunnel navigation can be dangerous
- Tech 21 Evo Check protective phone case for Google Pixel XL review: First Pixel case we've seen
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Lenovo ThinkPad celebrates 25 years of cutting edge technology
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Logistics)Other
- CCInternet Applications Developer - DevOpsNSW
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTEducation/Training OfficerNSW
- CCTririga DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Service Centre Senior Support OfficerVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Change Analyst / Change Manager ( Banking background)Other
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSecurity Operations SpecialistQLD
- FTSQL Database AdministratorACT
- CCMiddleware Messaging SpecialistVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperOther
- CCUnix System AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- FT.Net Full-stack DeveloperOther
- FTApplication/Systems Support AnalystOther
- FTICT Service Centre Team LeaderVIC
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTAccount Manager - Enterprise AccountsOther