Capcom Neopets Puzzle Adventure
Neopets Puzzle Adventure only delivers half of what it promises in the title.
- Surprisingly addictive puzzle gameplay, nice visuals
- Shallow story mode, running errands becomes tiresome
Neopets Puzzle Adventure is a passable game for little tykes who enjoy the land of Neopia, but grown gamers definitely won't be clamouring for this title.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Neopets Puzzle Adventure only delivers half of what it promises in the title. While the puzzle elements show a faint bit of innovation, everything else in the game feels too simple and kid-oriented, even for casual gamers. Oddly enough, Neopets Puzzle Adventure would have been a better game without the story, characters, or sparse RPG elements.
For what it's worth, Neopets Puzzle Adventure actually surprised me. While the story mode is complete tripe, the puzzle action isn't too shabby. From the first moment the game loaded, I was already rolling my eyes at the game's sugar-coated plot. Basically, you customise your own Neopet from a sparse amount of races and color schemes, letting it loose on the world of Neopia to right wrongs and fight evil, which really equates to running errands for every strange creature you meet. All the tasks in the game are done via puzzles, namely a strange-yet-addicting take on "Reversi," which is where the real value of Neopets Puzzle Adventure is hidden.
Petpets Save The Day
In the old Reversi, you and an opponent took turns placing colored discs on a board while trying to outmanoeuvre each other. When you trapped your opponent's discs between yours, their colour flipped, giving you the points needed to win. In Neopets Puzzle Adventure, the gameplay changes with the addition of (ugh) "Petpets," little coloured Pokemon-like creatures with special game altering abilities. Strangely, the Petpets' different skills actually breathe new life into the old Reversi concept. Each Petpet has an ability that can make the difference between victory or defeat -- like eliminating multiple pieces and replacing them with your own -- but nothing that outright damages the gameplay. Setting up reversals and combos constantly had me thinking a few steps ahead of each move, and I actually lost a few matches simply by not paying attention.
If you're going to play Neopets Puzzle Adventure, multiplayer is definitely the way to go. When you have a good collection of Petpets in your stable, the flow of one simple game can shift often and rapidly, resulting in tons of unexpected combos and last-second reversals. Other games clearly based on Puzzle Quest and "Memory Match" are offered in the "Instant Action" mode, but none of them have the depth or polish of the Reversi-inspired puzzles. I really wish that all the games had been lumped into the main adventure, especially since the computer presents no real challenge once you've leveled up enough to use more than one Petpet in a battle.
Stay For The Puzzles
Overall, Neopets Puzzle Adventure is a good game for its target demographic -- children who will use the game's many unlockable codes to access various digital goodies on the Neopets website. The puzzle action delivered more fun than I expected, and the Petpets are a compelling, game-changing element. If you can ignore the lame, lengthy story and ridiculous-looking cast of characters, there's actually a good experience here buried under the Neopets' logo.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Razer roll out studio-grade Serien Elite microphone
- Blizzard announce new rewards for Battle for Azeroth preorders
- Intel Extreme Masters to bring eSports back to the Qudos Arena in May
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- The Avengers Project release date, platforms, gameplay news & trailers
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- TP.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness ImplementationOther
- FTJunior level .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTMotion Graphics Designer / VideographerNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical AnalystSA
- FTFeature Team Lead - paying $725 per dayOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTEnterprise ArchitectOther
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- CCSenior Java developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Wealth & Fund Management ApplicationsOther