Capcom Devil May Cry 4
- The graphics are fantastic. Seriously, the game looks great. The fighting mechanics are fluid and easy to grasp. Tight controls add to the awesomeness. While it's nice to see familiar faces, the new characters are great in their own right, especially newcomers Nero and Gloria.
- While the game shines visually, it comes up short in the audio department. The camera and the save system are also problematic, leading to some unnecessary frustration.
We're hoping against hope that Capcom will somehow address the wonky camera and save system, because that would go a long way towards making DMC4 truly sublime. Still, we highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for an amazing action game to add to their library.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
The Devil May Cry series has seen its fair share of ups and downs. When the first game débuted, it was a revelation, delivering slick, fast-paced action, tight controls and a bankable new hero in the silver-haired Dante.
The franchise stumbled a bit after the release of the second chapter, a game that failed to ignite the fires of gamers and critics alike. It was obvious that Capcom could not capture lightning in a bottle a second time.
Devil May Cry 3 went a long way towards restoring the franchise's lustre with gamers and critics but the damage had been done: when the fourth instalment in the demon-busting series was announced, we couldn't help but wonder if they would continue to build upon the momentum of DMC3 or if they would stumble the way they did with DMC2.
The fact that the franchise was making the next-gen leap was also troubling; after getting an early peek at Capcom's annual Gamer's Day event, we were left with the distinct impression that DMC4 would just be the same old formula with a coat of new-gen sheen applied.
Oh, how wrong we were. When our review copy of Devil May Cry 4 first appeared in our offices, we treated it with the same sense of wariness that we would have mustered had we received a box with a "Warning: Live Demon" sticker plastered on the top.
DMC4 not only represents a return to form for the franchise, it represents a genuine step forward. But don't take our word for it: click through to the next page and read our review. Now that we've vanquished a horde of demons, we have plenty to say on the subject.
Devil May Cry 4 is an insanely good looking, over-the-top action-fighting game that combines a high-drama story with crazy boss fights and one of the deepest, most rewarding combo systems around. There are some camera and save issues, but that hardly keeps it from being an early contender for one of the better games of 2008.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- CCChange ManagerWA
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTData Analyst - BIQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCAppian Developer x 2VIC
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsVIC
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC