Canon Selphy CP730
- From camera to prints without any fuss, infrared and optional bluetooth
- Price of consumables, not the fastest printer on the market
Good quality prints from digital images in a PictBridge-compliant device. Ink and paper are not the cheapest however.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
If the word 'printer' conjures up an image of an oversized bland plastic box, you clearly haven't caught up with the growing trend for compact photo printers. The Selphy CP730 offers a perfect education in everything that's chic and seamless in print technology.
With its beautiful cream livery and delicately curved casing, the Selphy CP730 is easy on the eye, but don't be fooled: some serious functionality is packed into its case. Like many other compact photo printers, the CP730 offers a top resolution of 300x300dpi. This may not sound very much, but for postcards and photos, it tends to be ample. The Selphy is fully PictBridge-compliant, and it can take in files wirelessly from any mobile phone that supports IrDA (infrared data transmission). An optional Bluetooth unit is available.
Setting up the CP730 is fairly easy; just be prepared to leave a little room at the back for the paper to pop out, as it does regularly. Once it's in place and stocked with dye and paper, plug in a memory card and you can browse through available image files using the tiny 2in LCD screen. You can also use a few basic editing tools. The type of border can be tweaked, for instance, or you can try and make the image particularly vivid or transform it into a black and white, all without connecting the Selphy to a PC. It took us 88 seconds to print out a standard photo. This definitely doesn't make the CP730 the fastest printer available, but it's not particularly slow either. And the results were attractive and packed with colour. Canon claims these photos can last for 100 years, so the Selphy would make a good companion for any digital camera enthusiast.
Consumables aren't cheap. Each dye cartridge contains enough to print 36 pages - $26.50 will buy both the cartridge and 36 sheets. Users can also purchase a bulk pack for $53, which essentially buys three packs for the price of two.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Data Analyst - SAP PM ModuleOther
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTUser Experience PractitionerACT
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (Cyber Security)QLD
- CCPython DeveloperVIC
- FTInternal Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTControl Systems SpecialistSA
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- CCService Design LeadVIC
- FTSenior System Engineer - Wintel & MacVIC
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- CCPython DeveloperVIC
- CCApplication Support Analyst - Level 2QLD
- FTService Design Analyst- Service Management Specialist- ITILOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTDigital Technical LeadQLD
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- FTSystems Engineer (UC)QLD
- FTSenior Solution Architect - TransformationOther