Canon PowerShot S80
- A full feature set; wide-angle zoom lens; big 2.5-inch LCD; great image quality and some clever design elements
- A tad bulky for your trouser pockets
Although it's quite bulky, the S80 offers an excellent list of features for a compact digital camera.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
If you're looking for more features in a slightly larger package then Canon's new PowerShot S80 might suit. The new top-of-the-line model in the S range, the S80 offers 8 megapixel resolution with a 3.6x zoom lens that boasts a useful 35mm equivalent range of 28-100mm. On the back is a large 2.5-inch LCD and you also get a simple optical viewfinder, should bright sunlight prove too much for the LCD.
Like Canon's entire range that sports the DiG!C II processor, the S80 is very fast to start up. There's a comprehensive set of shooting options, including manual, shutter and aperture priority, program and auto modes, plus scene modes and movie mode. There is also a large 2.5-inch LCD display and a wide angle zoom lens - both quality features that we really appreciated.
We particularly liked the four-way switch that is also a scroll wheel, a consumer-level version of the scroll wheel found on Canon's expensive digital SLRs. What the wheel does depends on the mode you're in and it's certainly a useful control device. We'd like to see more advancements to it, because it really is very easy to use and makes adjusting the S80's settings a breeze.
The mode dial is,unusually mounted on the side of the camera, but this actually works well - especially considering that the various modes (M, Av, TV and so on) are annotated around the edge of the dial where you can see them easily. Also, its side positioning means it takes up less valuable real estate on the rear surface of the camera, meaning the controls are well spaced out and not squashed into one area.
The image quality of the S80 is excellent and although you'll need fairly big pockets if you want to carry this one with you on your travels, the unit remains fairly compact considering the amount of features it offers.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCITSM OR iTIL Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- CCTraining Consultant/Architect - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Non ITNSW
- FTBusiness Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTPrincipal ConsultantOther
- TPSAP BW ConsultantQLD
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTJunior Business AnalystACT
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- CCDBA / Database Services SME - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTService Desk Technical LeadNSW
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTProject Manager - Rail , Develop Strategy. Need RISI cardOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)QLD
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTProgramme DirectorSA