Canon PowerShot S80
- A full feature set; wide-angle zoom lens; big 2.5-inch LCD; great image quality and some clever design elements
- A tad bulky for your trouser pockets
Although it's quite bulky, the S80 offers an excellent list of features for a compact digital camera.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
If you're looking for more features in a slightly larger package then Canon's new PowerShot S80 might suit. The new top-of-the-line model in the S range, the S80 offers 8 megapixel resolution with a 3.6x zoom lens that boasts a useful 35mm equivalent range of 28-100mm. On the back is a large 2.5-inch LCD and you also get a simple optical viewfinder, should bright sunlight prove too much for the LCD.
Like Canon's entire range that sports the DiG!C II processor, the S80 is very fast to start up. There's a comprehensive set of shooting options, including manual, shutter and aperture priority, program and auto modes, plus scene modes and movie mode. There is also a large 2.5-inch LCD display and a wide angle zoom lens - both quality features that we really appreciated.
We particularly liked the four-way switch that is also a scroll wheel, a consumer-level version of the scroll wheel found on Canon's expensive digital SLRs. What the wheel does depends on the mode you're in and it's certainly a useful control device. We'd like to see more advancements to it, because it really is very easy to use and makes adjusting the S80's settings a breeze.
The mode dial is,unusually mounted on the side of the camera, but this actually works well - especially considering that the various modes (M, Av, TV and so on) are annotated around the edge of the dial where you can see them easily. Also, its side positioning means it takes up less valuable real estate on the rear surface of the camera, meaning the controls are well spaced out and not squashed into one area.
The image quality of the S80 is excellent and although you'll need fairly big pockets if you want to carry this one with you on your travels, the unit remains fairly compact considering the amount of features it offers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperQLD
- FTUI Designer | ContractOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystVIC
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Mobility / UXWA
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceOther
- FTProject Manager - Distribution and Warehouse SolutionsOther
- CCWindows AdminVIC
- FTPega / BPM DevelopersACT
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior PMO AnalystOther
- CCChange Manager-Port MacquarieNSW
- FTField Engineers - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsACT
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther