Canon PowerShot S80
- A full feature set; wide-angle zoom lens; big 2.5-inch LCD; great image quality and some clever design elements
- A tad bulky for your trouser pockets
Although it's quite bulky, the S80 offers an excellent list of features for a compact digital camera.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
If you're looking for more features in a slightly larger package then Canon's new PowerShot S80 might suit. The new top-of-the-line model in the S range, the S80 offers 8 megapixel resolution with a 3.6x zoom lens that boasts a useful 35mm equivalent range of 28-100mm. On the back is a large 2.5-inch LCD and you also get a simple optical viewfinder, should bright sunlight prove too much for the LCD.
Like Canon's entire range that sports the DiG!C II processor, the S80 is very fast to start up. There's a comprehensive set of shooting options, including manual, shutter and aperture priority, program and auto modes, plus scene modes and movie mode. There is also a large 2.5-inch LCD display and a wide angle zoom lens - both quality features that we really appreciated.
We particularly liked the four-way switch that is also a scroll wheel, a consumer-level version of the scroll wheel found on Canon's expensive digital SLRs. What the wheel does depends on the mode you're in and it's certainly a useful control device. We'd like to see more advancements to it, because it really is very easy to use and makes adjusting the S80's settings a breeze.
The mode dial is,unusually mounted on the side of the camera, but this actually works well - especially considering that the various modes (M, Av, TV and so on) are annotated around the edge of the dial where you can see them easily. Also, its side positioning means it takes up less valuable real estate on the rear surface of the camera, meaning the controls are well spaced out and not squashed into one area.
The image quality of the S80 is excellent and although you'll need fairly big pockets if you want to carry this one with you on your travels, the unit remains fairly compact considering the amount of features it offers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Fujifilm announces the Elite X-H1
- Panasonic Releases Impressive LUMIX DC-GX9 Camera For The Enthusiast
- Panasonic try to set new standard for Travel Cams with Lumix DC-TZ220
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- FTMDM ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Angular4/.NetNSW
- CCService Design LeadVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTOBIEE DeveloperACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing ExecutiveOther
- FTDeveloper - PERLOther
- FTSenior Success ManagerOther
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Test Analyst - Service Now - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTCheckpoint Engineers wantedVIC
- FTFullstack .NET Developer - AngularOther
- PTDigital PublisherNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTUI / UX Junior AnalystNSW
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Software Development ManagerQLD
- FTGraduate Data Scientist/ Data AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerSA