Canon PowerShot A620
- Brilliant colour, full functionality
- A little bulky, controls difficult to access
If picture quality is paramount, you are not going to find a much better point and shoot than the A620.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Canon's A620 is the best entry into the Powershot series, and one of the most complete cameras we've seen. It combines incredible picture quality and full functionality into a great package that only has a few niggling flaws to let it down.
Few cameras across any category match the A620 for picture quality. We were absolutely floored when we opened up the images we'd taken and discovered that side to side, they rvialled those taken by some of the digital SLRs we have reviewed earlier. The colour was fantastic no matter what we were photographing and the sharpness and clarity was virtually unparalleled. Canon definitely have a winner on their hands here as the 7.1 megapixel sensor on this model just blew us away.
The A620 unfortunately bears the signature Powershot design; namely it has a large, square shape and jutting right hand grip. While the grip on this model is better than previous cameras, and the build as a whole is extremely sturdy,we just cannot get over how big and heavy it is. For a portable point and shoot model, it is much too big to comfortably fit in a pocket or small bag. We also found that despite having a mass of space to work with, it wasn't used very well. Our fingers often struggled just a little to get to basic functions like the zoom, and the LCD can get in the way when properly extended.
That is assuming you can take your eyes from the screen itself long enough to configure anything. The LCD is a beautiful piece of work. Whilst only measuring 2", there is no noticeable ghosting at all and the image is crisp and clear. The screen can also be rotated any way you please, offering that extra little bit of flexibility.
Functionally the A620 offers a full range of manual options, including whitebalance control as well as shutter and aperture priority modes. These are guarded by a safety mode that will compensate if you shift one option too far, preventing underexposed pictures. The A620 also sports various colour modes (sepia, black and white etc) and preset shooting configurations such as landscape and portrait, for the more amateur photographer.
The continuous shot and movie functions were very impressive. Video can be taken at 640x480 at a speed of 30 fps and there is no limit on the length (short of what your memory card can hold). The continuous shot function is equally free and runs at between 1.8 and 2 frames a second. There was also an alternative movie mode which we loved, that allows a massive 60 fps recording at 320x240 resolution for a full minute. 60 fps is more than enough to capture brilliant, fast motion videos, and a minute of recording gives plenty of time to record that final goal or the last fifty metres of the race.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM CONSULTANT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- FTLevel 2/Level 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTC++ Developer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCWintel EngineerWA
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTData Centre / Hosting Lead - $800 per dayOther
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTIntegration Solution Architect - $800 per dayOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystsACT