Canon PIXMA MP780
- Dual paper trays, prints onto CD or DVD surfaces
- No multi-card reader
The PIXMA has features that are very useful in a small office environment, such as a relatively large paper handling capacity, an automatic duplex unit and an automatic document feeder. It's also fast and quiet.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Printer, scanner, photocopier, PictBridge, fax machine, CD/DVD printer; physically and functionally, the PIXMA MP780 is a beast to be reckoned with, possessing many uncommon features.
It is a rare inkjet-based machine that has dual paper trays and two paper paths. The sheet feeder at the rear of the unit can hold up to 150 sheets of paper and pushes them through a straight paper path, while the paper tray at the front of the unit can hold an additional 150 sheets, which get pushed out through a curved paper path. These give the PIXMA MP780 a total paper capacity of 300 sheets.
Its paper-holding capacity combines well with its ability to print text documents at a rapid rate in normal quality, while draft quality outputs one black text page approximately every 10 seconds. Draft mode produced documents only slightly less dark than normal mode, with relatively crisp text that was very easy on the eyes. Its photo-quality output was highly detailed and clear, with accurate colour tones and barely noticeable banding in areas of colour gradation.
The printer driver also supports two-sided printing, which the PIXMA MP780 does automatically via its built-in duplex unit--another rare feature.
Likewise, it's one of the few printers capable of printing on CD and DVD disc surfaces, and it does so using a special disc tray.
A multi-card reader is conspicuously absent on this model, considering the vast amount of features it does have. This means that photos cannot be printed directly from memory cards. It does, however, have a PictBridge port, which can be used to print photos directly from a digital camera's interface, as long as it supports PictBridge.
Its scanning function is as versatile as its printing, and allows documents to be scanned either via the flatbed or the automatic document feeder (ADF). Scans can be initiated from the front panel of the unit or through the PC via the TWAIN driver.
Thick books are accommodated by the rising hinges of the flatbed lid, although the open end of the book being scanned may lean on the control panel and accidentally initiate unwanted functions. The MP780's greyscale scans, although a little pale, had excellent detail and clarity. Its colour scanning was also among the best we've seen. ScanSoft's OmniPage SE optical character recognition (OCR) software is supplied with this machine. This allows you to scan in documents to extract the text for editing.
The ADF allows for multi-page documents--up to 35 pages in length--to be scanned, faxed or copied without someone having to stand there and feed each sheet individually. Single-sheet photocopies or faxes can be sent using the flatbed, too.
Up to 99 photocopies can be made at a time, and photos can also be set up to be photocopied in borderless mode. Fine quality photocopies proved to be very fast--our full-colour, A4 photocopy test completed in just less than 2 minutes. It showed excellent clarity and was only slightly lighter in colour than our original print.
The PIXMA MP870 has a well-laid-out control panel and large, orange-backlit LCD that allows all settings and functions to be executed clearly and quickly.
Its individual ink system comprises five ink cartridges (two black, cyan, magenta and yellow) that can be replaced separately when an individual colour runs out, and high-yield black cartridges are also available.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCICT Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- TPMobile Application DeveloperVIC
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerACT
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC