Canon PIXMA MP530
- Sharp plain paper printing, Bright and vivid photo reproduction
- Lacks media card slots, Lacks a colour LCD
The Canon Pixma MP530 may lack some trimmings of a full-featured MFP, but it delivers a good mix of performance, quality, and paper handling at an affordable price.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Canon Pixma MP530's solid combination of features makes it ideal for a small office that works with documents and photos. It handles faxing, scanning, copying, and printing but lacks a few features that you might expect to find on an office-oriented multifunction printer.
For instance, the MP530 comes without built-in networking, so you'll have to use Windows' printer sharing to make it available to other PCs on your network. Also missing are media slots and a colour LCD. The only way to print directly from a digital camera is to connect it to the MFP's PictBridge port and use the camera's screen and controls. Of course, this may not be a significant issue if you prefer to store and edit images on your PC before printing them.
The MP530's control panel features a two-line monochrome LCD surrounded by sensibly arranged buttons. You can program up to 40 speed-dial numbers for destinations you frequently send faxes to, and the fax is rated to transmit pages at a standard 33.6 kbps (in either black-and-white or colour. The MP530 possesses a 150-page memory in case it runs out of paper while you've run out to buy more.
The glass platen accommodates letter-size paper, and the automatic document feeder lets you scan 30 sheets of legal-size paper at a time. Dual paper trays hold a total of 300 sheets, split evenly between the cassette in the unit's base and the upright feeder at the rear. The rear feeder is convenient for switching among different types of paper, and its straight paper path makes it a good choice for thicker media. For example, you can stack ten envelopes in the rear feeder, whereas Canon recommends stacking no more than five in the cassette. The built-in duplexer lets you save paper by making double-sided prints.
Each of the printer's five ink cartridges--one per primary colour, plus two black inks--incorporates a red LED that flashes when the ink runs low. On photo paper, the printer uses dye-based black, but to produce stronger and sharper darks on relatively absorbent plain paper, it adds pigment-based black.
Print quality was good, albeit with some flaws. The MP530 produced attractive dark text, but some edges looked splattered and we detected occasional slight horizontal banding. Our line-art sample suffered a few ripples in blocks of closely spaced vertical lines. Photos printed on plain paper had surprisingly sharp details, though the level of contrast was almost too much. On photo paper, images came out beautifully sharp, with bright and vivid colours. Scans and copies of photos and documents earned consistently high marks from our judges.
The MP530 may not be the fastest printer on the block, but it performed well in our speed tests, at 8.9 pages per minute for text and 3.2 pages per minute for graphics. It rolled out our test photo on letter-size photo paper in a commendable 41 seconds, and its 4.3 pages per minute copy speed was impressive, particularly given its high quality. Finally, the MP350 completed our 100-dpi test scan of a 4-by-5-inch photo in a snappy 7.2 seconds.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM ARCHITECT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- CCIntegration AnalystNSW
- FTDigital BA / Product Owner / 3 Month ContractOther
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM DEVELOPER - BASELINE CLEARANCE REQUIRED - CANBERRAACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- TPApplication Support AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW