Canon PIXMA MP160
- Price, easy to print from the MP Navigator
- Doesn't have a colour-LCD or memory card slot, some streaking when copying in mono
The Canon Pixma MP160's everyday print jobs came out crisp, while scans are above-average but with limited resolution. The lack of a memory card slot could be an important omission.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
At only $79, we were delighted to find that the Canon Pixma MP160's photo print quality was above average - a match for the more expensive MP180, if 20 seconds slower. Text printing in draft, normal and high-quality modes was uniformly fast with crisp results.
We found the grey Canon Pixma MP160's looks a little dull, but this robust device is compact and portable. Unfortunately, during our tests the Canon Pixma MP160's scanner lid tended to come crashing down as we adjusted a document's position. A stronger hinge would have fixed this. And sheets of paper were routinely sucked into the Canon Pixma MP160 at an angle, despite being loaded with care into its robust paper tray.
As the least expensive MFD we tested this month, the $79 Canon Pixma MP160 lacks both a colour-LCD and a memory card slot. But there is, at least, a PictBridge port for direct camera printing. Some printer maintenance can also be handled via an on-body switch. Among the usual array of one-click buttons are options to specify paper type and fit to page. Driver and software installation is a simple process. The bundled MP Navigator software is divided into three sections: scan, view and enhance images. Custom scans can be carried out with a single click, but are limited to 600x1200dpi. Scans can be saved in various ways, including as PDF or an e-mail attachment.
The excellent scanning software will correct slanted documents and automatically crop images. MP Navigator also makes successful printing easy, using drop-down menus to select such options as paper type, lightness, darkness and the quality of prints.
The Canon Pixma MP160's colour copies are produced quickly but suffer colour casts and banding. Streaking appeared when we attempted mono copying, though the copy more closely resembled the original.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTFinancial Manager - January StartACT
- FTStorage & Backup Engineer x2 - EMCOther
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTGraduate Software Automation Test AnalystWA
- FTIT Graduate / Junior Project AdministratorOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTMultiple Axway rolesOther
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- FTPersonal AssistantSA