Canon Pixma iP8500
- High speed, low running costs
- Lack of flash media slots
The IP8500 prints photos very quickly, has a duplexer, and has cheaper-than-averages ink and paper costs. However, its limited direct-print features make it best suited for use hooked up to a PC.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
During our tests the Canon PIXMA IP8500 printed great-looking photos and very attractive borderless snapshots, but it costs a good deal more than some comparable models, such as the HP Photosmart 8450. One thing the extra money will buy you is time when printing snapshots: the PIXMA IP8500 printed a 4" x 6" photo in just 39 seconds, more than three times faster than the HP Photosmart 8450. This PIXMA printed to plain paper at below-average speeds, however: 3.4 ppm for text and 1.4 ppm for graphics.
The IP8500's ink and paper costs are lower than average, at roughly 57 cents per snapshot at the time of writing. It uses eight individual ink cartridges, adding red and green inks to the standard cyan, magenta and yellow. Our borderless 4" x 6" print was every bit as good as the photos the PIXMA IP8500 printed on letter-sized paper. The prints looked quite sharp, with rich colours and sufficient detail in darker areas. Text didn't look as crisp as the text printed by some other models we have tested, but edges were fairly sharp.
If you plan to perform all your image editing and printing functions from your PC, you won't mind that the IP8500 doesn't have media card slots or an LCD. But that doesn't mean you're entirely out in the cold with your digital camera: the IP8500 has a direct-print port for printing directly from a compatible camera.
There are only two buttons on the control panel: a resume/cancel button and a paper tray selector. Also, the direct-print port doesn't allow you to upload the images to your PC, unlike some other models we've tested.
The IP8500 holds a lot of paper. The drawer in the base of the printer takes up to 150 sheets of letter-size paper, sticking out of the front in order to do so; when holding 4" x 6" or 5" x 7" paper, the drawer remains flush with the front panel. The upright sheet feeder at the back of the printer can hold an additional 150 sheets, and accommodates up to legal-size paper.
The Canon PIXMA IP8500 has a built-in duplexer for making double-sided prints, but it waits a few seconds so the ink on the first side can dry before it begins printing on the second side.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant - DevOpsOther
- CCDatabase Administrator - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTDigital Business Project Manager, MediaOther
- FTDevOps Engineers/Consultants - CloudOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Large System Transformation Project)Other
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSales/Account Manager - Network & Unified CommunicationNSW
- TPSolution Architect - AzureNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- TPOragnisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistACT
- FTSalesforce ConsultantVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceSA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- FTOracle DB & Python DeveloperVIC
- TPMessaging EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther