Canon Pixma IP4700 inkjet printer
A stylish inkjet printer that produces great output
- Fast, great output, built-in duplexing, bundled Easy-PhotoPrint EX software
- Some households might find a multifunction more appealing
The Canon Pixma IP4700 really impressed us. It is a good quality inkjet printer that produces excellent results in a short amount of time. We also liked the fact that it was exceptionally quiet. If excellent prints are what you need and you aren’t in the market for either copying or scanning features, this is the ideal printer.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
The Canon Pixma IP4700 is Canon's latest inkjet printer that retains the glossy black casing of its predecessor, the Canon Pixma IP4600, and also features stylish gunmetal highlights.
The Canon Pixma IP4700 also retains some of the features we loved most about the IP4600, including two paper trays, the fact users are warned on their PC screen if the print output tray is closed and the ability to print on to DVDs and CDs using the included dedicated tray.
The device also offers a number of improvements over the IP4600. These include the addition of Auto Photo Fix II to the bundled Easy-PhotoPrint EX software. One of the chief advantages of this software is that it can be set to automatically correct colour, contrast and brightness without making the resulting prints either too dark or to light - something that's particularly tricky to adjust for with under-exposed images. The Canon Pixma IP4700 also has a built-in duplexing capability.
We found the Canon Pixma IP4700 very easy to set up and install. Once we'd inserted the five single inks (cyan, yellow, magenta and two blacks), in the same way as with the IP4600, we were able to install the bundled software and then connect the printer to our PC using USB. Then the software then took us step-by-step through aligning the printheads before we were able to start printing.
As well as USB connectivity, the Canon Pixma IP4700 offers PictBridge connectivity which allows you to print photos direct from a digital camera without first having to download them to a PC.
Canon says the Canon Pixma IP4700's biggest improvement is that it's faster than its predecessor and can print 9.2 images per minute in black and approximately 8.1ppm in colour. In our tests, the Canon Pixma IP4700 printed a mixed colour and graphics document in 21 seconds, while our nine-page text document took 51 seconds, equating to an output rate of 10.5ppm.
In Draft mode black text looked clear and sharp and images featured clear detailing. Colours looked slightly faded in draft mode but looked vivid and bright in Normal and Best modes. Photographs looked clear and sharp with god detailing and flesh tones depicted realistically.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
- Alienware 13 full, in-depth review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FT.Net Developer (Senior)WA
- TPGateway SpecialistACT
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTChief Information OfficerQLD
- TPTest ManagerNSW
- CCWintel Infrastructure EngineersACT
- CCSecurity TesterNSW
- CCStrong C++ Developer Needed to Join a Great Environment and Team!NSW
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther
- FTChange Implementation ManagerOther
- FTPayroll Project ManagerOther
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE - Angular 2 | Bootstrap | jQueryWA
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTUnix Engineer | 6mth ContractOther
- CCLead Technical AnalystNSW
- FTLead Android DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTSolution Architect (Office 365 Specialist)SA
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- CCNetwork Performance TesterNSW
- CCJunior Change AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator - ITOther