Canon Pixma iP3000
- Low price, high quality printing of text and photos
- Ink is costly
Although the PIXMA's initial price is low, ink costs are steep. Overall this is a well-designed printer with high print quality, although our speed tests show it to be a good deal slower than Canon claims.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The PIXMA iP3000 boasts a resolution of 4800 x 1200dpi (dots per inch) and uses technology that Canon refers to as FINE (full-photolithography inkjet nozzle engineering). In layperson's terms, this means that the PIXMA can produce tiny ink droplets--two picolitres--from each of the nozzles on its printhead to produce what should be incredibly sharp printouts.
Theory is one thing; putting it into practice is another. Canon has pulled it off, though, producing images that are near-photolab quality. Detail is sharp, while colours are bright and bold.
The PIXMA doesn't take too long to churn out documents either, whether it's picture or text-based printouts. Print speeds are some way off Canon's claims, though. We could only produce 10ppm (pages per minute) of text and 3ppm of colour, as opposed to the 22ppm and 15ppm respectively that Canon states.
PictBridge compatibility allows you to print directly from certain digital cameras, and the separate ink cartridges mean that you only have to replace the one that has run out rather than everything at once. Ink costs are quite high, however. If you plan on printing out a lot of photos then the iP3000 isn't ideal. If you're more of a now-and-then hobbyist, this Canon printer is a good buy.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Launches First Double-Sided A3+ 4-In-1 Inkjet EcoTank Printer
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- CCOperational Readiness ExpertVIC
- FTInstructional DesignerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- CCBusiness Intelligence Delivery ManagerQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst (Office 365)Other
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- FTIT SpecialistSA
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTAnalyst DeveloperACT
- CCAgile Coach/LeadNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- FTCyber Security Solution ArchitectOther
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- TPService Assurance ManagerQLD
- TPHR Process AnalystVIC
- FTSupport Consultant (Chris 21)Other
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW