Canon Pixma iP3000
- Low price, high quality printing of text and photos
- Ink is costly
Although the PIXMA's initial price is low, ink costs are steep. Overall this is a well-designed printer with high print quality, although our speed tests show it to be a good deal slower than Canon claims.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The PIXMA iP3000 boasts a resolution of 4800 x 1200dpi (dots per inch) and uses technology that Canon refers to as FINE (full-photolithography inkjet nozzle engineering). In layperson's terms, this means that the PIXMA can produce tiny ink droplets--two picolitres--from each of the nozzles on its printhead to produce what should be incredibly sharp printouts.
Theory is one thing; putting it into practice is another. Canon has pulled it off, though, producing images that are near-photolab quality. Detail is sharp, while colours are bright and bold.
The PIXMA doesn't take too long to churn out documents either, whether it's picture or text-based printouts. Print speeds are some way off Canon's claims, though. We could only produce 10ppm (pages per minute) of text and 3ppm of colour, as opposed to the 22ppm and 15ppm respectively that Canon states.
PictBridge compatibility allows you to print directly from certain digital cameras, and the separate ink cartridges mean that you only have to replace the one that has run out rather than everything at once. Ink costs are quite high, however. If you plan on printing out a lot of photos then the iP3000 isn't ideal. If you're more of a now-and-then hobbyist, this Canon printer is a good buy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCJunior Security System AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ProductsNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCProgram SupportVIC
- CCProgram Director- Service Integration and Management (SIAM)NSW
- FTDesktop Support EngineerSA
- TPSenior Deployment Officer (Office 365)QLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC
- FTLAMP Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Microwave Transmission EngineerNSW