Canon Pixma iP1600
- Inexpensive, Fast printing speed
- Poor text quality, low quality colour printing.
This simple, inexpensive, and compact home printer is adequate for everyday printing tasks, but its print quality could be better.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Canon Pixma iP1600 will appeal to anyone on a tight budget. It comes in a neat little package and is simple to use, but this no-frills printer sacrifices several features we'd expect to see even in a low-cost inkjets. Most obviously, the iP1600 lacks an output tray, instead ejecting printed pages straight onto your desktop.
In the absence of a PictBridge port or card slot on the printer, digital photographers must load their images the old fashioned way - onto a PC - before printing. And whereas its larger cousins (such as the Canon Pixma iP4200) align their heads automatically as they print a test sheet, you have to check the quality manually for the iP1600 and enter a sequence of numbers into the driver's alignment tool.
The two ink cartridges--one dispensing all three dye-based color inks, and the other containing a pigment-based black for dark text--have relatively low capacities, undermining to some extent the printer's low purchase price.
For such a low-cost printer, the print speeds of 6.6 pages per minute for text and 1.9 ppm for color graphics are impressive. Unfortunately, the iP1600's print quality was less than dazzling. Text smudged across the page, and the characters' edges looked fuzzy. In our line art test, vertical lines wiggled about every third of an inch, suggesting that alternate sweeps of the head were misaligned. Blocks of fine, closely spaced lines exhibited an odd diagonal banding. On plain paper, our color images stood up reasonably well to the competition, despite suffering from some banding and oversaturated colors that gave faces the appearance of having a fake tan. Faint narrow banding remained on photo paper, and dark areas looked washed out, but we also saw some sharp detail. Our grayscale image showed appealing contrast and crisp edges, though skin tones could have been smoother.
The iP1600 comes with a user's guide in HTML format, which you install along with the software package. The capable Easy-PhotoPrint tool guides you through printing photos and making basic enhancements. Easy-WebPrint works around Internet Explorer's printing limitations by fitting pages to the width of your paper. Strangely, though, Canon neglects to include its PhotoRecord app for printing photo albums.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTCRM DeveloperACT
- TPSenior SQL DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- FTProgram Manager - CRM software solutionsOther
- TPBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTInternal Communications ConsultantSA
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- TPIncident ManagerNSW
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTLead Java Developer- DevOpsOther
- FTTest Manager - InfrastructureOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Administrator OR project coordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTJunior Automation TesterOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer (Angular / .Net)NSW
- FTDevops EngineerOther