Canon Pixma iP1600
- Inexpensive, Fast printing speed
- Poor text quality, low quality colour printing.
This simple, inexpensive, and compact home printer is adequate for everyday printing tasks, but its print quality could be better.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Canon Pixma iP1600 will appeal to anyone on a tight budget. It comes in a neat little package and is simple to use, but this no-frills printer sacrifices several features we'd expect to see even in a low-cost inkjets. Most obviously, the iP1600 lacks an output tray, instead ejecting printed pages straight onto your desktop.
In the absence of a PictBridge port or card slot on the printer, digital photographers must load their images the old fashioned way - onto a PC - before printing. And whereas its larger cousins (such as the Canon Pixma iP4200) align their heads automatically as they print a test sheet, you have to check the quality manually for the iP1600 and enter a sequence of numbers into the driver's alignment tool.
The two ink cartridges--one dispensing all three dye-based color inks, and the other containing a pigment-based black for dark text--have relatively low capacities, undermining to some extent the printer's low purchase price.
For such a low-cost printer, the print speeds of 6.6 pages per minute for text and 1.9 ppm for color graphics are impressive. Unfortunately, the iP1600's print quality was less than dazzling. Text smudged across the page, and the characters' edges looked fuzzy. In our line art test, vertical lines wiggled about every third of an inch, suggesting that alternate sweeps of the head were misaligned. Blocks of fine, closely spaced lines exhibited an odd diagonal banding. On plain paper, our color images stood up reasonably well to the competition, despite suffering from some banding and oversaturated colors that gave faces the appearance of having a fake tan. Faint narrow banding remained on photo paper, and dark areas looked washed out, but we also saw some sharp detail. Our grayscale image showed appealing contrast and crisp edges, though skin tones could have been smoother.
The iP1600 comes with a user's guide in HTML format, which you install along with the software package. The capable Easy-PhotoPrint tool guides you through printing photos and making basic enhancements. Easy-WebPrint works around Internet Explorer's printing limitations by fitting pages to the width of your paper. Strangely, though, Canon neglects to include its PhotoRecord app for printing photo albums.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- FTMobile Application Developer (Xamarian)Other
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistACT
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTFunctional Support Consultant (GIS)Other
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCPega DevelopersACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTCommunications Officer (Social Media Focus)Other
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior NPM DeveloperNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Service Operations Lead ? Financial Services - TelcoVIC
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCFinance AnalystNSW
- TPApplication Packaging & Support ConsultantVIC
- FTCoach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- FTSAP Developers (SAP CRM, PSCD, HANA, UI5)Other
- FTSenior Software Engineer - DigitalVIC