- Wide array of connectivity options, easy set up
- Average image quality, Not bright enough, Awkward calibration options, Speakers are sub-par.
The Canon LV-X5's average performance and features don't stack up well against lower-priced competitors that provide better image quality.
Price$ 2,860.00 (AUD)
The 3kg, LCD-based Canon LV-X5 is slightly larger than the most compact portables we have reviewed but it provides a slew of connectivity options, including two connections for linking to different computers and a third connection for hooking up an external monitor. In addition, it has two sets of inputs for connecting two audio sources.
Unfortunately, in our performance tests at its default settings, the LV-X5 turned in lackluster scores. Its overall rating was about average, but at the low end of the models we have tested. Though its brightness (rated at 1500 lumens) is sufficient for small-group presentations, we were less impressed with this projector's plain white screen than with competing (and often brighter) models. The LV-X5 also struggled with our grayscale gradient tests and had difficulty displaying some of the lightest and darkest shades. Text screens were legible, but not as crisp as we'd have expected.
A large zoom lever and a smooth focus ring, along with simple controls on the top panel, permit easy setup. The on-screen menu was reasonably easy to use, but it overlapped the image so we couldn't see the effects of various adjustments. Canon offers five factory presets for selecting optimized images (standard, presentation, cinema, video, and sRGB), plus a sixth mode that's user adjustable. Though we used the default (standard mode) for our formal tests, switching to other picture modes helped improve various images in our informal tests.
The LV-X5's remote has several buttons - for page up and page down, and for mouse clicking - that don't work with this projector, though they do function with other Canon projectors. Besides lacking mouse control, the LV-X5 has no pointer and no one-touch button for changing the picture mode. Another gripe: The built-in (1-watt) speaker was less powerful than we had expected.
Only a computer (VGA) cable is included in the box, so you'll need to obtain additional cables to connect the LV-X5 to other video and audio equipment.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- FTSalesForce DeveloperOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCSupport Engineer - Linux, AIX & SolarisQLD
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst- Data Analytics & banking backgroundOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTios DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTSenior/Lead Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTNetwork Data EngineerOther
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther