Canon IXUS i Zoom
- Cool enough for James Bond, good features, nice button layout
- Images could use a little work, requires a cradle
Perfect for the fashion conscious buyer, this little great looking camera performs most functions adequately.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Canon's 5 megapixel IXUS i zoom is one of the best looking camera models we've ever seen. It is tiny and cased matte black metal with silver rimming, and has a 1.8" LCD that is particularly good in dark conditions. The IXUS looks like it belongs on the catwalk.
One complaint we have, however, is that the silver sections feel a little flimsy in comparison to the rest of the body. Their shiny finish also had a nasty habit of picking up fingerprints and marking easily, which meant after just a few hours use the previously immaculate chassis appeared grimy and dull in comparison. Overall, the camera feels reasonably solid and sits well in the hands.
The IXUS is a mixed bag when it comes to features. It falls short of full manual control with regards to aperture, shutter speed and white balance, but offers a nice selection of shooting modes, particularly the My Colour menu, which allows you to highlight certain colours and bring the most out of your various subjects. It also offers unlimited continuous shots (until your memory fills up) but doesn't offer too much in the way of scene shooting modes, with just a handful of the basics such as landscape and portrait.
A simple button layout grants access to all these functions. We really prefer the more minimal approach taken here to the older, clunky function wheels, which can be difficult to navigate and often the first part to break.
The IXUS has a simple, three-way switch to navigate between photo, video and playback modes, and the rest of the options are handled through the function and menu buttons below the directional pad. The layout is perfect, and allows easy and natural access to all the buttons despite being confined to a cramped space.
The pictures taken by the camera were reasonable. Our test shots were quite blurred around the edges, which is a common problem in many compact cameras, but not bad enough to be really noticeable. The photos also looked a little grainy in detailed areas.
We found the fact that the camera must be on a cradle to transfer files to the PC and to charge quite irritating. Lugging around a cradle, even one as small as the one that comes with the IXUS, is a pain.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAgile Coach/Scrum MasterOther
- TPIT Project ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- CCTechnology ArchitectNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure Delivery ManagerOther
- TPSenior Business AnalsytACT
- FTManager, Data QualityOther
- CCSAP HANA Program Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTKnowledge AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications & Business)NSW
- FTProject Manager - Immediate startACT
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectVIC
- FTLead Mobile App DeveloperQLD
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerWA
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerOther
- FTFrontend DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Writer - Clinical ICT ProjectsOther