Canon IXUS 1000 HS digital camera
Canon IXUS 1000 HS review: Not the best compact digital camera we've seen from Canon
- Average image quality, chromatic aberration in photos, poor battery life
- Shoots high speed footage, tilt shift, 10X optical zoom
Unfortunately the Canon IXUS 1000 HS didn't 'wow' us as much as we would have liked it to. Chromatic aberration, poor battery life and generally disappointing image results are a real shame considering the specs looked so good.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Canon's IXUS 1000 HS digital camera is a 10-megapixel megazoom point-and-shoot with a DiG!C 4 processor. The Canon IXUS 1000 HS offers a lot of nifty wiz bang features like high speed and tilt-shift recording modes, an impressive 10x optical zoom and a slow shutter speed mode that can take up to 15-second exposures in low-light conditions.
Canon IXUS 1000 HS: Features and design
The navigation controls of the IXUS 1000 HS are missing most the usual icons and symbols we've all come to know so well. This proved to be slightly vexing at first, but after a bit of mucking about with the camera we figured it out.
The IXUS 1000 HS has a tiny battery (we figure this is because the lens takes up so much room inside the camera). According to Canon, the battery can power the camera for 150 photographs — without flash — which is pretty poor to be honest.
Canon IXUS 1000 HS: Performance
We were disappointed the images produced by the Canon IXUS 1000 HS: images can be grainy and most suffer from chromatic aberration.
We also encountered some colour inaccuracies during our tests, for instance the IXUS 1000 HS really struggled with greens.
The further zoomed in the camera is on a subject, the more image quality decreases, which is a real shame. Furthermore, the f/3.4 wide to 5.6 telephoto lens is quite slow to zoom and focus, which is frustrating if you need to snap a spur-of-the-moment photo.
A high speed video mode that shoots at 240 frames per second and plays back at 30fps is extremely fun; also noteworthy is the tilt shift or 'miniature effect' mode, which is available for both video and still shots.
Low-light performance isn't bad, and the long shutter speed is fun to play with. We tested out the 15 second exposure in a dark room with a tiny sliver of light:
Almost every image needed a little help from Photoshop; we had to spend some time correcting levels and curves to achieve what we wanted.
Overall we found that the image quality of the Canon IXUS 1000 HS just wasn't up to par, and we were also unimpressed by the slow lens. The shooting options and features have great potential, but the battery life is too short.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review: a Nazi-stomping shooter that's more than the sum of its parts
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- TPProject Manager - MortgagesNSW
- CCProject AnalystNSW
- FTIntegration Specialist (HL7)Other
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Technical backgroundVIC
- CCRPA DeveloperVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystOther
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTProject Manager/Scrum MasterNSW
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther