Canon Digital IXUS 60
- Small, Brilliant colour performance
- Poor performance at high ISO levels
Performed well across a broad range of tests and is only really let down by its high ISO performance.
Price$ 579.00 (AUD)
Canon's IXUS 60 is a competant compact camera. It has all the elements you'd expect from such a product, including above average image quality, a decent set of features and a slim design. While you won't be blown away by its performance, colour reproduction is excellent and if you're looking for a basic point and shoot then this model should be a consideration.
Imatest revealed that the IXUS 60 was a good all round performer. It achieved a sharpness result of 1263 which is about average for a six megapixel model in this category. We generally found our shots were crisp and quite detailed; certainly more than adequate for day to day photography. The test also revealed medium levels of chromatic aberration with the IXUS 60 netting a score of .111%. This is slightly above average, but not by much, and the impact it has on the shots is minimal.
It was in our colourchecker test that the IXUS 60 really amazed us, scoring an excellent and extremely low 5.52. Most compacts struggle to get below 10, and we've only seen one unit in the past that has dropped below the six barrier. Our test shots corroborated this result with rich colours that brought the pictures to life. Red was the only colour the camera struggled a little with, but this is a common theme amongst pretty much all compacts.
The IXUS 60's image noise performance, while not quite as impressive as its colour result, was fairly solid. With a score of .57%, there was no visible noise on our shots at lower ISOs. However, it doesn't scale as well as most other compacts, and at the higher ISO levels like ISO 800, the score shot up to 2.24%, which is quite a bit bigger than average. This indicates the IXUS 60 is not the best choice for shooting at night, or in fast paced situations.
When we fired up the IXUS 60's menu we were greeted by a standard array of features. Having ISO setting all the way up to 800 is impressive, but the camera didn't perform at these higher settings adequately. We liked the burst mode, which captured shots at three frames a second until the buffer filled up. The feature set was rounded out by the exposure, whitebalance and focus options, but there were only four scene modes.
Its performance in our speed testing was of a similar standard; a little above average but not exceptional. The .1 second shutter lag was about what we expected, and the 1.5 second shot to shot time is in line with competing models. The only standout was its 1.7 second powerup time, which was pretty speedy by compact standards.
We were quite pleased with the design of this camera. It feels sturdy, and is quite compact, measuring 86mm x 21.7mm x 53.5mm, so it will comfortably fit in your pocket or a small bag. The entirely metal chassis is painted in a chrome/silver combination which looks pretty good, if a little basic.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness ConsultantOther
- TPICT Project ManagerWA
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager - AdobeVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Engineers- Transmission, IP Core and ITOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneOther
- FTIntegration SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTSecurity ArchitectNSW
- FTTeam Leader - Service Desk (Internal Customers)SA
- FTFull stack DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Full-stack DeveloperOther
- CCFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)VIC
- TPQuality ManagerQLD
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCJunior Cyber Security AnalystACT
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & ComplianceNSW