Canon CanoScan 9950F
- High speed, good scan quality, neat film and transparency tools
- Nothing notable
Canon's CanoScan 9950F is a great scanning option for expert users who need high-quality powerful tools, and speed.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Canon CanoScan 9950F is a pricey powerhouse that can scan both prints and film at a maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. Producing crisp, colourful scans with swift speed, the CanoScan 9950F would be a good choice for small offices, graphics professionals or photo hobbyists.
In our standard image-quality tests, the device produced excellent printed 100dpi scans of a 4" x 5" colour photo; the scan showed excellent brightness, sharpness of detail and colour reproduction.
The 9950F also earned top ratings in our printed and on-screen black-and-white line-art test scans, both of which were scanned at the unit's maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. The 9950F provided fine details in hard-to-capture circular moire and crossbar patterns.
One of the reasons for this scanner's impressive image quality, according to Canon, is that the 9950F features a new optical system with an aspherical lens element (called the Super Toric Lens) that more efficiently transmits light to the image sensor.
Aside from its excellent scan quality, the 9950F stood out due to its tools for scanning film and transparencies. It comes with a built-in adapter for transparencies as well as three sturdy film holders for multiple-image scanning. These guides allow for batch scanning of up to 12 35mm slides, 30 frames from five 35mm filmstrips, and eight frames from two medium-format (120mm) filmstrips. Canon also provides a fourth film holder for scanning single 4" x 5" and 120mm transparencies.
The 9950F's adept ScanGear CS driver can automatically scan all of the images in a holder and save each scan in an individual file. You can also batch-scan up to ten reflective items, such as photo prints. Such features make this scanner a workhorse for groups that do publishing production, such as catalogue houses and graphic-arts departments.
Tested with USB 2.0, the 9950F took just under 29 seconds to scan a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi--an outstanding result.
The 9950F has four quick-start buttons (Copy, Scan, E-Mail, and PDF) and comes with a generous software bundle that includes the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 and ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 photo editors, the NewSoft Presto PageManager 6.11 document management tool, and ScanSoft's OmniPage SE 2 optical character recognition package. The scanner also comes with Canon's own CanoScan Toolbox 4.9, a helpful utility that lets you customise the hardware's push buttons and set up additional software-driven buttons for passing scanned images to other linked applications.
Like the drivers of other corporate scanners, the 9950F's driver includes image-enhancement features such as fade correction, dust and scratch removal, and grain correction. We were pleased with the results when we tried out these tools: the 9950F's fade correction, for example, took the jaundiced look out of a family portrait that had yellowed with
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSix Sigma Process Improvement Consultant (Black Belt) - Sydney - TelcoNSW
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- TPProgram Manager - Long Term ContractQLD
- CCHelpdesk TechnicianNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- CCData ArchitectWA
- TPProject Manager - Call Centre ExpansionVIC
- CCNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? TelcoVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityVIC
- FTLead Java Developer- DevOpsOther