Canon CanoScan 9950F
- High speed, good scan quality, neat film and transparency tools
- Nothing notable
Canon's CanoScan 9950F is a great scanning option for expert users who need high-quality powerful tools, and speed.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Canon CanoScan 9950F is a pricey powerhouse that can scan both prints and film at a maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. Producing crisp, colourful scans with swift speed, the CanoScan 9950F would be a good choice for small offices, graphics professionals or photo hobbyists.
In our standard image-quality tests, the device produced excellent printed 100dpi scans of a 4" x 5" colour photo; the scan showed excellent brightness, sharpness of detail and colour reproduction.
The 9950F also earned top ratings in our printed and on-screen black-and-white line-art test scans, both of which were scanned at the unit's maximum optical resolution of 4800dpi. The 9950F provided fine details in hard-to-capture circular moire and crossbar patterns.
One of the reasons for this scanner's impressive image quality, according to Canon, is that the 9950F features a new optical system with an aspherical lens element (called the Super Toric Lens) that more efficiently transmits light to the image sensor.
Aside from its excellent scan quality, the 9950F stood out due to its tools for scanning film and transparencies. It comes with a built-in adapter for transparencies as well as three sturdy film holders for multiple-image scanning. These guides allow for batch scanning of up to 12 35mm slides, 30 frames from five 35mm filmstrips, and eight frames from two medium-format (120mm) filmstrips. Canon also provides a fourth film holder for scanning single 4" x 5" and 120mm transparencies.
The 9950F's adept ScanGear CS driver can automatically scan all of the images in a holder and save each scan in an individual file. You can also batch-scan up to ten reflective items, such as photo prints. Such features make this scanner a workhorse for groups that do publishing production, such as catalogue houses and graphic-arts departments.
Tested with USB 2.0, the 9950F took just under 29 seconds to scan a 2" x 2" colour photo at 1200dpi--an outstanding result.
The 9950F has four quick-start buttons (Copy, Scan, E-Mail, and PDF) and comes with a generous software bundle that includes the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 and ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 photo editors, the NewSoft Presto PageManager 6.11 document management tool, and ScanSoft's OmniPage SE 2 optical character recognition package. The scanner also comes with Canon's own CanoScan Toolbox 4.9, a helpful utility that lets you customise the hardware's push buttons and set up additional software-driven buttons for passing scanned images to other linked applications.
Like the drivers of other corporate scanners, the 9950F's driver includes image-enhancement features such as fade correction, dust and scratch removal, and grain correction. We were pleased with the results when we tried out these tools: the 9950F's fade correction, for example, took the jaundiced look out of a family portrait that had yellowed with
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDemand Release ManagerNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Developer Azure Power BINSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- TPImplementation Planner - Payroll PortfolioQLD
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSharepoint Analyst / DeveloperQLD
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Application Support ConsultantQLD
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTIntegration EngineerACT