Cambridge Audio Azur 640T
- Easy to set up, easy to use, accurate tuning, attractive and well designed
- LCD screen could have been bigger
A good FM tuner, but DAB support is not yet useful
Price$ 700.00 (AUD)
It seems strange to introduce a digital radio tuner to countries that have yet to fully adopt digital radio.
At the time of writing, there was no full-service digital audio broadcasting (DAB) in Australia or New Zealand. Europe and the US have DAB, but with different standards, broadcast technologies and business models. Consequently, the Azur's strongest feature is yet to be of much use to Australians.
It's otherwise an excellent analog FM tuner, with support for radio data service (RDS; not DAB, but a way of sending messages to enabled receivers). I tested the 640T using our Yamaha 02R96 digital audio production suite through Dynaudio Acoustics BMGA Professional Studio Monitors at the Auckland University of Technology. It was simple to set up and easy to use.
Tuning was extremely accurate, with the excellent sound expected from high-spec digital gear. Naturally, I couldn't find any DAB stations, but the specifications show it will translate DAB signals well, assuming we adopt the standards it was designed for (which looks likely).
It features Natural Contour switching between normal, 'lively' and 'warm' modes to fatten up thin-sounding DAB and for adding depth to FM signals. It has a clean, simple front panel and remote, although for an RDS-capable tuner the LCD screen could have been bigger. There are also inputs for another tuner and coaxial and digital outputs.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Analysts - agileACT
- FTReporting, Analytics and Insights Analyst - $62 p/hrOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Regulatory and ComplianceOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTFinancial Manager - January StartACT
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTTeam Leader - Software ServicesVIC
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java DeveloperQLD
- FTOperations Improvement ManagerOther
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW