Caligari trueSpace 7.6
A fully featured 3D application
- Free, UV unwrap workflow, support for 3DS and Collada, native PSD support for import/export and rendering, content library, normal mapping, wide selection of editing and object creation tools and hair/fur and deforming tools
- No Mac support, no integrated 3D file exchange with Photoshop CS3 Extended
Although it has an unorthodox look and feel, Caligari trueSpace offers hundreds of tools, animation facilities and physics simulations, and a collaborative working environment.
Recently released for free following the takeover of developer Caligari by Microsoft, trueSpace is a fully featured 3D application.
Although there’s no integrated 3D file exchange with Photoshop Extended CS3, you can import and export models in the Collada and 3DS formats supported by Adobe (plus some OBJ files).
The trueSpace UV Mapping workflow allows you to set Photoshop as an external editor. When you unwrap the texture of a 3D object, you can send the resulting projection to Photoshop as a texture map file. When you’ve worked on the image in Photoshop and saved the result, the texture map in trueSpace is updated when you click on the UV Mapping Editor window.
Shipping with 400-odd modelling tools, a large library of materials, textures and objects, normal map support and HDRI environments, trueSpace also supports morph targets, real-time cloth, hair/fur grooming and character animation, as well as the impressive ability to work on objects at the same time as other users on a network. Rendering features include soft shadows, transparencies, reflections, sophisticated materials and the handling of HDRI backgrounds.
trueSpace’s closest competitor here is Carrara, which has a smaller modelling toolset and no roundtrip texture-editing, but supports Poser-format character models from Daz 3D and others. Both may be a bit much for Photoshop users, though, who might find 3D Toolbox or Strata 3D[in] a slimmer alternative.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Manager - Dynamics CRMQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - (Mid Level)Other
- CCField Services TechnicianWA
- FTLead ETL DeveloperOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTUX & Research SpecialistOther
- TPProject Manager - ServiceNowNSW
- CCPega Developer / Consultant - Contract - IT ServicesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Delivery ManagerQLD
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTSupport Consultant (Chris 21)Other
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTSenior Project Managers (Multiple roles)Other
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCGIS AnalystWA