CA Technologies Internet Security Suite Plus 2008
- Good scores in antivirus tests, a Web site inspector to identify dodgy sites
- No protection for Web mail or IM clients, it's not user-friendly
Good in parts, CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 is a reasonable security bundle. It's certainly better than its predecessor, but variations in consistency make products like Norton or McAfee Total Protection a better bet.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
These days, you're spoiled for choice when it comes to security bundles. To the ever-growing list of these is now added CA ISSP (Internet Security Suite Plus) 2008.
CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 is a very different beast to the previous version, with significantly more modules than before -- seven versus four. So as well as a firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware, antispam and parental controls you also get data migration/data backup tool plus a Web site inspector to identify dodgy sites.
Mostly these are 'bought-in' components so some of them feature user interfaces slightly at odds with their compatriots. Absent is any protection for Web mail or IM clients. Nevertheless, the new features plus the fact that it can be installed on three PCs makes CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 much better value than before.
Installation of CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 was slow. Updates are automatically downloaded during the install which probably accounts for the time it took. It was delayed by unnecessary fluff such as the installation of the Yahoo toolbar and the brazen harvesting of marketing information as a prerequisite for 'virus protection coverage' -- tsk, tsk. You'd think this was some sort of trial version but there is no trial version of CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008.
Most current Internet security bundles have tried to simplify their UIs to make operation as easy as possible but ISSP is definitely old-school in the learning curve it presents to novices. True, its basic online tutorial differentiates CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 from the common herd and will no doubt be welcomed by new users.
It nevertheless remains a fairly complex program to get to grips with and while techies will love it, many users will be disappointed to find user-friendly features, like a 'Fix Now' button, absent. The firewall is another example of this -- unlike its smarter rivals, which make the call on your behalf, CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 still prompts you for a yes or no whenever a new program tries to access the Internet.
Other IS packages have now consolidated AV and spyware detection in to a single module -- not so with CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008, which still has two separate modules for these tasks. Which means you need to perform two separate scans to detect both sorts of malware. To be fair, the spyware scan does take less than a minute.
CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 continues to earn good antivirus scores from Virus Bulletin, ICSA and West Coast Labs. Spyware detection was so-so but the antispam module was completely effective on our 'spam magnet' e-mail account. This is because it decides that any e-mail that's not from somebody in your address book must be unsolicited. It is, however, easy to add new senders to the whitelist.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCMDM DesignerVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- FTLead Drupal DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Web Developer/Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC