BullGuard Internet Security 9.0
BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 is a subtle update to Bullguard Internet Security 8.5, available for free for existing subscribers
- Straightforward interface
- Not an ambitious update
BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 isn't as fully featured as some of its rival security products, but its simple interface and 24-hour online help may appeal to home users who want a basic, easy-to-use security suite. It's reasonably priced at $89.95 for a three-user licence, but the next upgrade will need to be a bit more ambitious if BullGuard is to keep pace with its many rivals.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Most security programs are updated every year, almost like clockwork, but it's well over a year since BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 was released and it has to be said that this latest version doesn't exactly boast a long list of new features.
The existing anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-phishing features of BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 are left relatively untouched, with the main new addition of BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 being the gaming mode that is designed to minimise the impact on games performance.
The real emphasis with BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 is on ease of use, with a redesigned interface that keeps things as simple as possible for less-technically inclined home users.
BullGuard Internet Security 9.0's new interface is certainly more straightforward than the occasionally crowded and confusing barrage of features that some security programs throw at you.
The main screen of BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 simply displays a small set of icons representing basic security functions such as ‘Scan for viruses' or ‘Allow/block programs'.
More advanced users can click on these icons to adjust settings in greater detail, but most users of BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 will be happy to just leave the program running automatically in the background.
There's no performance penalty for doing that either, as BullGuard didn't seem to have any significant effect on our PC's start time, or on tasks such as copying and scanning files that were transferred onto the hard disk from a memory stick. There was also little effect on the frame rates we got when running 3D games such as Far Cry 2.
Other features of BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 include 5GB of online storage, which can be used in conjunction with the program's built-in backup features, and a useful 24-hour chat facility for online help.
Even so, we can't help thinking that this upgrade to BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 was rather unambitious, especially since there are still some gaps in BullGuard's armoury of security features.
There's little in the way of parental controls or protection for young children surfing the net, or identity protection for credit card numbers and other personal information.
Existing BullGuard users will be pleased to hear that they get a free upgrade to BullGuard Internet Security 9.0, but that in itself is almost an admission that they'd be hard pushed to charge for the upgrade.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTalend Integration DeveloperNSW
- FTTester (Dynamics AX)Other
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTSecurity Operations Specialist (SIEM)Other
- FTSenior Security SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPClient Systems TechnicianQLD
- CCSAP ArchiectNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Designer/Architect - Java IntegrationOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Civil, Operations, ConstructionOther
- FTDigital Marketing Manager - Affiliates and PartnersOther
- TPEnterprise Technology ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Manager - Governance and L&DQLD
- CCInfrastructure System Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTUX/UI DesignerQLD