BullGuard Australia Internet Security 8.5
BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 is a 'point' upgrade that includes a more secure firewall.
- BullGuard Internet Security users get a free upgrade, more secure firewall that consumes fewer resources
- Jury is out as to its current effectiveness against malware
Simplicity is the name of the game with BullGuard and the new version retains this — it’s undoubtedly easy to use. It’s also improved and remains a reasonable choice for the home user. But is it as good as Norton Internet Security 2009? No.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The new BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 is a point upgrade to its predecessor, BullGuard Internet Security 8, which had a somewhat spotty reputation. The coverage offered remains as before: antivirus, antispyware, firewall, a new spam filter and backup, which includes 5GB of secure online storage as standard.
You don't get parental controls or private data protection, so the coverage offered by BullGuard is slightly restricted compared to some of its rivals. For $89 you get an annual licence for three PCs, and extra online storage is available for extra cost. Existing BullGuard Internet Security users will be automatically upgraded to the 8.5 version.
One of the major improvements is a new more secure firewall that consumes fewer resources. It certainly is one of the easier firewalls to configure, even if you opt for the 'Advanced' view.
It can be can be set up automatically but it's also possible to go in and manually tweak it. The firewall automatically approves apps that require Internet access so no prior 'app scanning' is required; the previous version required too much user intervention. Like the spam filter, it also appears to be collaborative — unknown apps that you vouch for are reported to BullGuard.
The other major improvement is a new spam filter which claims to offer 'comprehensive phishing protection' as well as better performance. Again, the old version was less than perfect and the new version is much better.
It's collaborative so when you identify an e-mail as spam, all other BullGuard users spam filters are sent the information. Like BullGuard's anti-virus and anti-spyware, the spam filter integrates with Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird, checking all incoming and outgoing emails. We accessed our spam 'honey-trap' and BullGuard's accuracy (before training) in sending spam to the Deleted folder was in the order of 99% - not bad.
On the AV front, this release offers increased rootkit detection capabilities and updates every two hours. It scans files on schedule, on demand, and on access. It also checks for viruses in incoming and outgoing e-mail.
Interestingly, BullGuard doesn't feature much in the major AV group tests such ICSA Labs, West Coast Labs or AV-Comparatives.org. It has only appeared five times in the VB100 list but v8.0 earned two 'fails' in 2008 for missing viruses in the wild list, despite being based on the well-regarded BitDefender engine, so the jury is out as to its current effectiveness against malware.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- FTInfrastructure Solution Architect - Network SecurityOther
- FTStorage Operations ManagerOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCFront End Developer, North Sydney, UI knowledge, ReactJS, Adobe ManagementNSW
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- CCApplication PackagerVIC
- FTField EngineerOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPProject Manager - Governance and L&DQLD
- TPSenior Technical Analyst - Oracle PeopleSoftQLD
- FTSecurity Clearances OfficerACT
- TPLinux Automation EngineerQLD
- FTHFC Network EngineerOther
- FTPrincipal Solutions Architect - Big Data and AnalyticsOther
- FTUnified Endpoint Management Systems AnalystOther
- FTOracle Database Engineer - EXADATAOther
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDigital Designer & DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior iOS Software EngineerOther
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT