So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
BullGuard Australia Backup 8.0
- Great value, easy to use, 10GB of storage
- No detailed configuration options (but this isn't much of a problem for most users)
We had reservations about the first release of BullGuard Backup, not so much because of the software which was a delight to use, but the rather stingy storage provision. Now that Bullguard has addressed this issue, BullGuard Backup 8.0 comes highly recommended.
Price$ 60.00 (AUD)
BullGuard Backup 8.0 is the second generation of Bullguard's off-site storage app. And with 10GB of online storage included, it's excellent value.
Off-site storage used to be an esoteric (and expensive) task restricted to corporate users with an extensive network. The rapid growth of broadband now helps to make this a market open to all computer users.
Despite its name, BullGuard Backup 8.0 is actually the second release of this utility as standalone software (originating in Bullguard Internet Security).
Much in BullGuard Backup 8.0 is similar to the first release, but there is one extremely important improvement: whereas previously users had to pay extra to obtain storage larger than a gigabyte, now a 10GB drive is included in the price. This means that although the price has risen slightly, it's actually much better value.
BullGuard Backup 8.0 now also allows you to perform scheduled backups to removable devices such as USB sticks or external hard drives. The interface has not changed much, but this is no bad thing. For the vast majority of people, the ability to identify the part of your hard drive you want to duplicate and then run scheduled backups with a couple of clicks is ideal for ensuring the task is completed. There are a few options to tinker with, but this is very much an install and forget procedure.
Files are compressed before being transferred to the online drive, thus reducing upload speed for certain files, and BullGuard Backup 8.0 works when the PC is idle to try and minimise the performance hit. If you require it, you can purchase a 15GB online drive for storing videos and other media, but the standard BullGuard Backup 8.0 package will be sufficient for most people. The fact that the licence can also be run on three home computers makes it even more appealing.
There is not much you can do with BullGuard Backup 8.0 in terms of configuring backups beyond selecting directories and schedules, but again this is a bonus rather than a hassle, and means you are much more likely to protect your files online.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Apple combats iPhone throttling backlash with new iOS 12 features
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies