Buffalo Technology WZR-RS-G54
- Potentially very cost effective
- Some security problems could hinder connections
If you can survive setup and corporate-security blocks, this device promises economical remote access.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
People who want secure remote access to PCs at their home or small business while on the road typically turn to services such as GoToMyPC and PCAnywhere, but those options can get expensive with multiple users and PCs. Buffalo Technology offers an economical alternative: a Wi-Fi router that accepts VPN (virtual private network) connections and provides file access and even remote PC control.
Like other 802.11g Wi-Fi routers, Buffalo's AirStation 125 High-Speed Mode Wireless Secure Remote Gateway (WZR-RS-G54) allows networked PCs to share broadband Internet access and community files and printers. You can also configure it as a Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) server that lets you log in remotely using most standard VPN clients (including Windows XP's).
Once remotely connected, you launch a standard browser to view available networked devices and to access files. In addition, if you have installed the supplied Virtual Network Computing software on a connected PC, you can view and control the desktop.
In my tests with a shipping version, the scheme worked well from most locations--once Buffalo's support technicians helped me change some obscure settings in the Windows Firewall of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
In a more serious glitch, I wasn't able to make the VPN connection to my home network from my workplace, apparently because our office's corporate security provisions. This sort of snafu wouldn't arise with GoToMyPC service, which makes the secure connection to a single computer from its own servers.
Buffalo's router allows up to 100 users to connect to multiple PCs, so if you could make the VPN connection when you needed to, this AirStation could save you a bundle.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Synology announces slew of new hardware + software at Sydney event
- Linksys signs on as PAX AUS partner
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Maximo - TelcoVIC
- TPIT Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java Developer (Brisbane Location)ACT
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistNSW