Buffalo Technology WZR-RS-G54
- Potentially very cost effective
- Some security problems could hinder connections
If you can survive setup and corporate-security blocks, this device promises economical remote access.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
People who want secure remote access to PCs at their home or small business while on the road typically turn to services such as GoToMyPC and PCAnywhere, but those options can get expensive with multiple users and PCs. Buffalo Technology offers an economical alternative: a Wi-Fi router that accepts VPN (virtual private network) connections and provides file access and even remote PC control.
Like other 802.11g Wi-Fi routers, Buffalo's AirStation 125 High-Speed Mode Wireless Secure Remote Gateway (WZR-RS-G54) allows networked PCs to share broadband Internet access and community files and printers. You can also configure it as a Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) server that lets you log in remotely using most standard VPN clients (including Windows XP's).
Once remotely connected, you launch a standard browser to view available networked devices and to access files. In addition, if you have installed the supplied Virtual Network Computing software on a connected PC, you can view and control the desktop.
In my tests with a shipping version, the scheme worked well from most locations--once Buffalo's support technicians helped me change some obscure settings in the Windows Firewall of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
In a more serious glitch, I wasn't able to make the VPN connection to my home network from my workplace, apparently because our office's corporate security provisions. This sort of snafu wouldn't arise with GoToMyPC service, which makes the secure connection to a single computer from its own servers.
Buffalo's router allows up to 100 users to connect to multiple PCs, so if you could make the VPN connection when you needed to, this AirStation could save you a bundle.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPEnterprise Applications AdministratorQLD
- TPFront End Designer/DeveloperNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Applications Specialist - Cerner MillenniumOther
- CCIP Network EngineerNSW
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- TPQlik DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness QA Manager - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTJunior Digital/Marketing Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- CCService Designer - GovernmentNSW
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTOffice 365 SMEOther
- FTSAP PM Functional ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC