Buffalo Technology 54G Wireless USB2.0 Keychain Adapter
- Plug & Play, Easy install
- Drains battery life, large
A simple and effective way to add wireless access to your notebook
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Wireless internet connectivity has the potential to dramatically change both the way we work and also where we work, offering users the convenience relatively fast speeds at while on the move. While the vast majority of today's notebooks ship with wireless cards, some of the older models do not and here is where the Buffalo Keychain Adapter can help.
Small and white, roughly the size of a cigarette lighter, the Wireless Keychain Adapter is designed to be plugged into a USB port on your notebook, thus giving you the ability to access wireless 802.11 b/g networks in the area without having to purchase a separate wireless network card.
We plugged in the unit to our PC and in under a minute, the drivers and software proceeded to install themselves. In addition to the drivers, Buffalo Client Manager 2 was also installed. This little application is used to manage and connect to available wireless networks. There are three tabs on this application - Status, Survey and Profiles. The Status tab shows details of your current connection, while Survey displays the list of available wireless networks to connect to. The Profiles tab conveniently stores the connection and network settings for multiple networks, meaning you don't have to remember them. This is helpful especially if you often use the same networks, such as Work or Home.
We did think the device was on the larger side and protruded quite significantly from a notebook USB slot. Buffalo have helpfully included a USB cable which plugs into the unit, thus removing the need to plug it directly into the drive. In our tests, we could not detect any noticeable difference in data speeds between a regular network card and the Wireless Keychain adapter, and the while the speed decreased with increased range, it wasn't substandard by any means. Although it is USB, be warned that the unit will drain battery life from your notebook, especially after extended usage.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUSTOR and Seagate Technology Bring IronWolf Health Management to ASUSTOR NAS
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Wi-Fi Alliance introduces a certification program for new smart home construction
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTUI / UX Lead DesignerQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCNon-Functional Test ConsultantNSW
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCHelpdesk Support roleNSW
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- FTProject Administrator/Project SupportOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- CCProject MangerNSW
- CCPSRM Java DeveloperNSW
- CCDataStage DeveloperNSW
- FTOffice 365 SMEOther
- CCDesktop Support Engineer - Hunter ValleyNSW
- FTRESTful services - Senior Tech LeadACT
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Solution Designer / ArchitectOther