Sometimes an excellent operating system can be made even better
Buffalo Technology 54G Wireless USB2.0 Keychain Adapter
- Plug & Play, Easy install
- Drains battery life, large
A simple and effective way to add wireless access to your notebook
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Wireless internet connectivity has the potential to dramatically change both the way we work and also where we work, offering users the convenience relatively fast speeds at while on the move. While the vast majority of today's notebooks ship with wireless cards, some of the older models do not and here is where the Buffalo Keychain Adapter can help.
Small and white, roughly the size of a cigarette lighter, the Wireless Keychain Adapter is designed to be plugged into a USB port on your notebook, thus giving you the ability to access wireless 802.11 b/g networks in the area without having to purchase a separate wireless network card.
We plugged in the unit to our PC and in under a minute, the drivers and software proceeded to install themselves. In addition to the drivers, Buffalo Client Manager 2 was also installed. This little application is used to manage and connect to available wireless networks. There are three tabs on this application - Status, Survey and Profiles. The Status tab shows details of your current connection, while Survey displays the list of available wireless networks to connect to. The Profiles tab conveniently stores the connection and network settings for multiple networks, meaning you don't have to remember them. This is helpful especially if you often use the same networks, such as Work or Home.
We did think the device was on the larger side and protruded quite significantly from a notebook USB slot. Buffalo have helpfully included a USB cable which plugs into the unit, thus removing the need to plug it directly into the drive. In our tests, we could not detect any noticeable difference in data speeds between a regular network card and the Wireless Keychain adapter, and the while the speed decreased with increased range, it wasn't substandard by any means. Although it is USB, be warned that the unit will drain battery life from your notebook, especially after extended usage.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Symantec confirm Norton Core router for Australian market
- D-Link brings Covr Wi-Fi System to Australia
- Netgear announce sponsorship with NRG Esports
- Telstra launches the Go Repeater
- D-Link launches range extenders with whole home Wi-Fi
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Overwatch Devs celebrate Anniversary event by sharing insights into the game's future
- Nokia 8 Sirocco review: Full, in-depth review
- HTC promise more Edge Sense and a better camera with the HTC U12+
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies