Brother HL-2270DW laser printer
Brother HL-2270DW review: A quick mono laser printer without any fancy features
- Fast print speeds
- Good first page out time
- Other budget lasers have larger toner cartridges
- Manual feed is only a single sheet
Brother's HL-2270DW mono laser printer gets pages out quickly, making it a good choice for document-heavy offices that don't need colour. It's also got wireless so it's a smart choice for a large or notebook-heavy office.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Brother HL-2270DW is a simple mono laser printer. Apart from wireless networking it doesn't have any fancy features — it does a good job of printing monochrome pages quickly, with a fast time for the first page to be printed and quick overall print speeds. If simple document production is your main purpose and you won't be printing on specialty papers often, then the HL-2270DW is perfect.
Brother HL-2270DW: Design and set up
The HL-2270DW feeds paper in through a bottom-loading cassette, which can hold a maximum of 250 sheets at once. This is 100 more than the Fuji Xerox CP105b, which is identically priced. Both printers have the same 100-sheet maximum output capacity through the top, though. The Brother HL-2270DW has a single-sheet paper bypass, letting you feed in specialty paper like a set of labels — it's only a single sheet at once which is annoying for multi-page print-outs, but it's better than nothing.
We connected the Brother HL-2270DW to a Apple MacBook Pro, using both OS X and Windows 7. We used the HL-2270DW's integrated wireless adapter in preference to USB, and did the majority of our maintenance testing through the HL-2270DW's simple Web interface. This interface offers monitoring of printer status and consumable levels.
Brother HL-2270DW: Print quality and speed
The Brother HL-2270DW is very quick for a relatively cheap mono laser printer. Its fast first-page-out, which we tested to be consistently under 20sec, means getting a single page print-out doesn't require a long wait — an area where cheap laser printers are generally inferior to inkjets. After the first-page-out we timed subsequent sheets at around 2.5 seconds each, giving the Brother HL-2270DW a speed of just over 20 pages per minute over a 50-sheet test document run. This is an excellent speed for a cheap laser printer.
The fast print speeds of the Brother HL-2270DW don't come at the cost of print quality. Text down to 8pt sizes is easily legible and doesn't suffer from any text bleed, and larger text is evenly coloured. We wouldn't use the Brother HL-2270DW for printing monochrome photos or large graphics, as complex gradients of grey look grainy.
Brother HL-2270DW: Toner costs
The Brother HL-2270DW ships with a 700-page starter toner cartridge, and a standard refill will last 1200 pages. You can also purchase a 2600-page high-yield black toner cartridge. The standard Brother TN-2230 costs $70 and the high-yield Brother TN-2250 costs $120 — translating into a standard running cost of 5.8 cents per page using standard toner, and 4.6 cents per page using the high-yield cartridge. These costs are on par with other entry-level monochrome and colour laser printers.
Brother HL-2270DW: Conclusion
Buying a cheap monochrome laser printer is a smart choice if all you want to do is print off documents. Brother's HL-2270DW handles this task with ease and does a good job of it. If you want scanning and copying capabilities, then you will have to buy a multifunction device instead, but if all you need to do is print (for home or small business use), then this cheap Brother printer is perfect.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTCitrix Administrator/ EngineerOther
- FTChange ConsultantOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCRF Engineer - Melbourne Based, Start ASAPVIC
- FTIT Rollout TechnicianSA
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- FTCloud Engineer | AzureOther
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther