Brother HL-2270DW laser printer
Brother HL-2270DW review: A quick mono laser printer without any fancy features
- Fast print speeds
- Good first page out time
- Other budget lasers have larger toner cartridges
- Manual feed is only a single sheet
Brother's HL-2270DW mono laser printer gets pages out quickly, making it a good choice for document-heavy offices that don't need colour. It's also got wireless so it's a smart choice for a large or notebook-heavy office.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Brother HL-2270DW is a simple mono laser printer. Apart from wireless networking it doesn't have any fancy features — it does a good job of printing monochrome pages quickly, with a fast time for the first page to be printed and quick overall print speeds. If simple document production is your main purpose and you won't be printing on specialty papers often, then the HL-2270DW is perfect.
Brother HL-2270DW: Design and set up
The HL-2270DW feeds paper in through a bottom-loading cassette, which can hold a maximum of 250 sheets at once. This is 100 more than the Fuji Xerox CP105b, which is identically priced. Both printers have the same 100-sheet maximum output capacity through the top, though. The Brother HL-2270DW has a single-sheet paper bypass, letting you feed in specialty paper like a set of labels — it's only a single sheet at once which is annoying for multi-page print-outs, but it's better than nothing.
We connected the Brother HL-2270DW to a Apple MacBook Pro, using both OS X and Windows 7. We used the HL-2270DW's integrated wireless adapter in preference to USB, and did the majority of our maintenance testing through the HL-2270DW's simple Web interface. This interface offers monitoring of printer status and consumable levels.
Brother HL-2270DW: Print quality and speed
The Brother HL-2270DW is very quick for a relatively cheap mono laser printer. Its fast first-page-out, which we tested to be consistently under 20sec, means getting a single page print-out doesn't require a long wait — an area where cheap laser printers are generally inferior to inkjets. After the first-page-out we timed subsequent sheets at around 2.5 seconds each, giving the Brother HL-2270DW a speed of just over 20 pages per minute over a 50-sheet test document run. This is an excellent speed for a cheap laser printer.
The fast print speeds of the Brother HL-2270DW don't come at the cost of print quality. Text down to 8pt sizes is easily legible and doesn't suffer from any text bleed, and larger text is evenly coloured. We wouldn't use the Brother HL-2270DW for printing monochrome photos or large graphics, as complex gradients of grey look grainy.
Brother HL-2270DW: Toner costs
The Brother HL-2270DW ships with a 700-page starter toner cartridge, and a standard refill will last 1200 pages. You can also purchase a 2600-page high-yield black toner cartridge. The standard Brother TN-2230 costs $70 and the high-yield Brother TN-2250 costs $120 — translating into a standard running cost of 5.8 cents per page using standard toner, and 4.6 cents per page using the high-yield cartridge. These costs are on par with other entry-level monochrome and colour laser printers.
Brother HL-2270DW: Conclusion
Buying a cheap monochrome laser printer is a smart choice if all you want to do is print off documents. Brother's HL-2270DW handles this task with ease and does a good job of it. If you want scanning and copying capabilities, then you will have to buy a multifunction device instead, but if all you need to do is print (for home or small business use), then this cheap Brother printer is perfect.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Dept of CommunitiesQLD
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication AnalystSA
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW