- Price, compares favourably to an inkjet printer
- Running costs, prints black and white only
The focus of the Brother HL-2140 is clear, and as a good little text churner this laser packs the goods. Use it extensively and, in the long-term, you'll end up paying considerable amounts. But for the typical family, this is an excellent complement to a quality inkjet and thus an ideal way to arm your home with strong text to go along with great colour graphics.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The $149 Brother HL-2140 mono-laser printer is pitched almost to perfection.
In the rush for full technicolour, mono printers have fallen rather far from grace. However, if you're on a budget, there are plenty of excellent reasons for resisting the high-cost allure of a full colour laser. For a start, to get one of the latter with photo quality that comes anywhere near to that of a decent $150 inkjet, you're going to have to spend hundreds.
The Brother HL-2140 is a full mono laser printer, but it's sufficiently cheap that you can run it alongside a quality inkjet for the best of both worlds. Indeed, if what you mainly print out is text work anyway, this'll again prove a good solution. But what do you really lose out on?
Well, while we wouldn't class the Brother HL-2140 as the prettiest of mono lasers, it does have a certain rugged charm. It lacks the flash of the latest HP inkjets, but we suspect you won't be breaking this printer in a jiffy.
And in keeping with Brother's drive for greater ease of use, the Brother HL-2140 is a cinch to setup. Because the consumables are front-mounted, it's easy to change the cartridges.
Quality is actually surprisingly good. You wouldn't want to use the Brother HL-2140 for any kind of serious graphical work - it's fine for printing out street maps and other such drawings, but photos are a definite no-no.
However, the Brother HL-2140's text output is very palatable. It lacks the crispness of the high-end Dells, but compared to an inkjet, this Brother is a significant improvement. Particularly given that it managed 11.9 pages per minute (ppm) in our demanding real world tests.
Obviously running costs are likely to be an issue with a mono laser as cheap as the Brother HL-2140, and it will cost you around twice as much to run as, for example, the Brother HL-4040Cn. However, given that the latter printer costs six times as much, this is unsurprising.
If you're looking to print thousands of pages a month then the Brother HL-2140 definitely isn't a good buy. But provided you won't generally be printing more than a handful of documents a day, you shouldn't end up being too put out by the running costs.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAgile Coach/Scrum MasterOther
- TPIT Project ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- CCTechnology ArchitectNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure Delivery ManagerOther
- TPSenior Business AnalsytACT
- FTManager, Data QualityOther
- CCSAP HANA Program Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTKnowledge AnalystOther
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications & Business)NSW
- FTProject Manager - Immediate startACT
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectVIC
- FTLead Mobile App DeveloperQLD
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerWA
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerOther
- FTFrontend DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Writer - Clinical ICT ProjectsOther