Boxee Boxee Remote
Control your media-centre software from your iPhone or iPod touch.
- Gestures mode, extremely simple to connect, soft keyboard for text input
- Various bugs, could incorporate a lot more functionality
This app is a great way to control Boxee. There are still plenty of bugs, though, and a long way to go before it can be considered a great iPhone app.
Anyone who has attempted to get more out of their Apple TV by using third-party software would doubtless have heard of Boxee. The Mac OS- and Linux-compatible media centre application has quickly become a mainstay on home theatre PCs, Mac Minis and Apple TVs — and it hasn’t even gone into beta. Now the Boxee team has released an iPhone app that provides wireless control over the software.
The Boxee Remote app works in similar fashion to the Apple Remote iPhone app. Connecting the Boxee Remote app to a host device, however, is much simpler. The app simply searches for running Boxee installations on the wireless network and provides a choice of devices to connect to. The process is extremely simple but lacks any form of security, allowing anyone with the app to easily hook into your Boxee (providing they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network).
Once connected, Boxee Remote provides two forms of control. Buttons is a basic five-way navigation pad that essentially mimics Apple's standard infrared remote. Gestures, on the other hand, lets you control Boxee without having to look at the iPhone. The buttons are replaced by a Boxee logo that can be dragged around the phone's screen to navigate through options. Tapping the logo initiates a particular action (though we found that this was often misinterpreted by the app as a drag). Nevertheless, both methods are extremely responsive and Boxee is easy to control.
The Boxee Remote app still has a few bugs to be ironed out. The connection isn't always stable, and the app is prone to crashing once it loses the wireless connection. Using the app to navigate through large networked libraries on an Apple TV can also lead to horrible lag.
The app provides a keyboard when text input is needed. A Now Playing screen appears when media begins playing, displaying album art or an image thumbnail if available, as well as basic play/stop and volume controls.
Boxee Remote works, but we feel like it could do more. Incorporating full playback controls would make better use of the iPhone screen's real estate and would allow for quicker use without having to access the Buttons or Gesture modes. The ability to navigate Boxee's sources and media from the app itself, in a similar fashion to Apple Remote would also be great.
Given the Boxee team's penchant for public development, it is unsurprising to see that the iPhone app still has a way to go in order to be stable and fully functional. Currently Boxee Remote is a proof of concept that provides basic playback control.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
- Google Assistant: 5 killer new features you should be using
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- Review: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTGraduate Recruitment ConsultantNSW
- CCPMO LeadQLD
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL) Midrange L3ACT
- TPAgile Project ManagerQLD
- CCSolution Engineer - RF/HFC - TelcoVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPAutomation Test AnalystQLD
- FTDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTDigital Architect - AWSQLD
- TPSharepoint Administrator - 3 months contractQLD
- FTProcurement ManagerOther
- TPBusiness and Technology Business AnalystVIC
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPCommercial Support AnalystVIC
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- TPVMware Administrator (vRA)QLD
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceSA
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- TPSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Product OwnerQLD
- CCMicrosoft Systems AdministratorVIC