Boxee Boxee Remote
Control your media-centre software from your iPhone or iPod touch.
- Gestures mode, extremely simple to connect, soft keyboard for text input
- Various bugs, could incorporate a lot more functionality
This app is a great way to control Boxee. There are still plenty of bugs, though, and a long way to go before it can be considered a great iPhone app.
Anyone who has attempted to get more out of their Apple TV by using third-party software would doubtless have heard of Boxee. The Mac OS- and Linux-compatible media centre application has quickly become a mainstay on home theatre PCs, Mac Minis and Apple TVs — and it hasn’t even gone into beta. Now the Boxee team has released an iPhone app that provides wireless control over the software.
The Boxee Remote app works in similar fashion to the Apple Remote iPhone app. Connecting the Boxee Remote app to a host device, however, is much simpler. The app simply searches for running Boxee installations on the wireless network and provides a choice of devices to connect to. The process is extremely simple but lacks any form of security, allowing anyone with the app to easily hook into your Boxee (providing they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network).
Once connected, Boxee Remote provides two forms of control. Buttons is a basic five-way navigation pad that essentially mimics Apple's standard infrared remote. Gestures, on the other hand, lets you control Boxee without having to look at the iPhone. The buttons are replaced by a Boxee logo that can be dragged around the phone's screen to navigate through options. Tapping the logo initiates a particular action (though we found that this was often misinterpreted by the app as a drag). Nevertheless, both methods are extremely responsive and Boxee is easy to control.
The Boxee Remote app still has a few bugs to be ironed out. The connection isn't always stable, and the app is prone to crashing once it loses the wireless connection. Using the app to navigate through large networked libraries on an Apple TV can also lead to horrible lag.
The app provides a keyboard when text input is needed. A Now Playing screen appears when media begins playing, displaying album art or an image thumbnail if available, as well as basic play/stop and volume controls.
Boxee Remote works, but we feel like it could do more. Incorporating full playback controls would make better use of the iPhone screen's real estate and would allow for quicker use without having to access the Buttons or Gesture modes. The ability to navigate Boxee's sources and media from the app itself, in a similar fashion to Apple Remote would also be great.
Given the Boxee team's penchant for public development, it is unsurprising to see that the iPhone app still has a way to go in order to be stable and fully functional. Currently Boxee Remote is a proof of concept that provides basic playback control.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCChange ManagerWA
- FTGraphics Designer / UI DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC