Bose On-Ear Headphones
These lightweight, compact Bose headphones have an expansive sound that's not short on bass
- Portable, well-rounded sound
- Poor cable design, mediocre build quality
Bose's portable On-Ear Headphones don't have the noise cancelling of more expensive products from the company, but they do have good sound quality and are light and portable. We weren't thrilled with the cable design or build quality, but the reasonable price tag puts the Bose On-Ear Headphones in direct competition with Sennheiser's portable models.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Bose On-Ear Headphones are light (under 150g), compact enough to fit into a large pocket, and have impressive sound quality. If you travel regularly but don't like in-ear headphones or earbuds, a portable set of headphones like these may be just what you need.
We think the Bose On-Ear Headphones are definitely competent when it comes to reproducing audio. A strong mid-bass component gives richness and warmth to music and vocals, while treble is crisp and reasonably detailed. Lower bass trails off early in the frequency range, but this is to be expected from portable headphones which use small drivers. The Bose On-Ear Headphones are versatile enough for music like rock and dance music, but we'd probably hold off on the bass-heavy electronica and classical music.
The build quality of the Bose On-Ear Headphones is acceptable but not brilliant. We're generally not fans of leatherette finishes on headbands and earcups as it tends to become quite sweaty after a short period of wear. The upside is that the material is soft and comfortable. The headband telescopes for finetuning earcup placement, although as the headphones sit on the ear rather than around them you will need to spend some time finding the most comfortable position.
We didn't find these headphones fatiguing to wear for long periods, making them a good choice if you have a long commute every day.
The left earcup of the Bose On-Ear Headphones has a male 3.5mm headphone jack that is used to connect one of two bundled 3.5mm cables. We would have preferred a headphone socket instead. These headphones do not feature the active noise cancelling of Bose's QuietComfort 15 headphones, but a small amount of acoustic noise cancellation is provided by the On-Ear Headphones' tight clamping force.
The $199 price tag of the Bose On-Ear Headphones means they compete against products like the lower-end models in Sennheiser's PX portable headphone series. They may not be as advanced as more expensive Bose models, but the Bose On-Ear Headphones impressed us with their compromise between portability and sound quality.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSecurity Dev Ops and Java DeveloperVIC
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPSenior Web Developer/Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTP3O SpecialistACT
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsACT
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- CCBusiness Project Manager-Grant ManagementNSW
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- FTCyber Security Technical WriterNSW
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Solutions and ApplicationsQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW